Best kitchen floor surfaces?

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any suggestions?
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But it's no longer fashionable.
Cindy Hamilton
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:52:24 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I agree I liked the vinyl myself but my wife insisted on taking the ceramic tile we have in the rest of the house into the kitchen. It is certainly durable and easy to clean but very unforgiving on anything you drop. I can't seem to hurt the tile but I have certainly broken a lot of glasses, dishes or whatever.

Yeah, that's what I did too, quarry tiles everywhere. Not into carpet, because I have a dog most of the time.

Yeah, I havent ever chipped one and its easy to replace one if I did manage to do that.

Yeah, specially the Corelles, shatter into a million pieces when dropped.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:25:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's so hard glasses and china seem to break even before they hit the floor - - - at least before thit hit after the first bounce.
We put in armstrong solid vinyl sheet flooring 26 years ago and it still looks like new - and it looks like porcelain tile. Kitchen and mainfloor bath. The upstairs bath is a composite floor that looks like tile and comes in 2X4 foot sheets - snaps together like laminate fake hardwood, but with virtually invisible seams and guaranteed waterproof. The finish is as hard as ceramic tile - was VERY hard on saw blades. I don't think it was Pergo - but very similar.
Also a decent option for a kitchen and available in many "patterns" (Pergo)

Fashionable is often far from sensible though. Sheet vinyl is probably the most practical and cost effective. Easier on drops than most. Had that in our last house and it held up well too.
My house has porcelain tile. Nice here in warm climate but you may not like it in cooler places. Very easy to clean.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:52:24 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What do you mean? you can get it to look like ANYTHING that happens to be in fashion. - and the new premium vinyl product, although not "sheet" is still spill-proof - plank, tile, or whatever you want.
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 4:02:56 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

Sure, you can get it to look like anything. But people--especially those who care what's in fashion--tend to want what's specifically fashionable.
Plank? Really? What happens when I drop a glass of milk? Doesn't it seep down between the planks? I'll admit I haven't looked at flooring very closely because I'm not on the verge of remodeling my kitchen.
Cindy Hamilton

Maybe this would help?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:16:56 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And usually there is a big difference in something that "looks like" and something that really is. Vinyl sheet flooring that looks like wood?

The modern engineered hardwoods fit together very tightly. Apparently it's not a problem. I would be a bit worried about water leaks that put more water on it, where it may not be seen or detected for a long time, etc. though.

There is no ideal floor, if there was, everyone would have it.
I prefer quarry tiles, but dropping plates and glasses etc usually sees them break.
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to prevent the p roblems you cite, leaving the floor there? If it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy it and look at the positives. Like ever ything, there are tradeoffs.
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.
On 2/11/2019 10:08 AM, Davej wrote:

A few coats of polyurethane usually works.

Yeah, that’s what I did with some raw edges of chip board which have laminate on the work surfaces, up against the wall where they might get some spilled water at times. Works well, you never get any of the swelling you normally get with chip board that gets wet.
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:09:03 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:

IDK of any way to waterproof it, but wood floors in kitchens are not unusual. You see them here in NJ in the more expensive homes. I think it also depends on the actual wood used. For new floors, most often it's one of the pre-finished, engineered materials that combine a substrate with a thinner veneer of the desired wood. They have the finish applied at the factory and it's harder, more durable, more resistant to warping, etc. Most of those, the good ones for sure, can be refinished a couple times too.

Solid premium vinyl
On 2/10/2019 3:00 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

  Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it . We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the idea of it all being hardwood .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Terry Coombs wrote:

It was called Solarian, if memory serves me right and yes a bitch to install especially in cold weather. I remember epoxy was used on seams
On 2/10/2019 6:00 PM, ChairMan wrote:

  Yeah , Designer Solarian ! There were cheaper solids that didn't have the no-wax finish too . Best way we found to fit that stuff was to scribe a pattern from roofing felt and cut it out before it ever went into place . Sounds like you know a bit about the business , did y'all ever go coving ? Roll the flooring 4 1/2" up the wall with an aluminum cap strip . Fun !
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old