Best Central Air Conditioner

Hi, I need to replace my central air conditioning system and currently investigating the various brands on the market. Does anyone have comments on the various brands available? Is there a web site or article available that provides information on manufacturers? I have lists of installation and repair companies in the DC metro area so that's not an issue. Thanks. NJC

Reply to
NJC

The regular HVAC guys will probably chime in here BUT...the installer is a whole lot more important than the brand. A lousy installation can make the best equipment useless, while a great installer can make a so-so unit work like a charm.

Reply to
BOB

Pick the best contractor you can find and let them chose the brand. The contractor is by far the most important part of the mix. While there are differences between some brands, those differences will never make up for a bad contractor.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Kid tamper proof? LOL Tell that to the guy that just spent over $450 on getting his XL repaired.. His kid loaded the top with rocks, pebbles, and anything else he could find, and no one could figure out how to get that POS lid off..LOL... One burned out fan motor, new fan, and contactor..plus, cleaning charges...

Only two units out there that I can say, when properly installed are more silent....York Stealth, 12-17 SEER, and Rheems newer line...

installation

Reply to
CBHvac

No kidding... Love how a units complaints are directly related to the install.... and they dont mention that...

Hold on...re-read what he said... he said, by choosing the installer first, you are limiting your options.. Options of what? Brand name? How many times must one say that the brand does not matter? Hell...you want a Trane? I will get you a Trane, but you will pay, and pay dearly for a unit that I think, from the ownership, and service end, blows chunks. The only options that are limited now, are units that are actually good...for what the customer is willing to pay. If a customer came to me, and said..I need a 5 ton unit, and money is no object, wellll..hell...lets just toss in a complete HV system for about 19 grand...or..wait....geothermal ground loops...for about 28...yea...thats it... sheesh

Reply to
CBHvac