Behr follow-up

To those of you who responded to my post about a contractor who switched from Benjamin Moore to Behr, more info. I went over to Home Depot today and asked the people there for their story on Behr. They said that a new consumer report had listed Behr #1 in study of paints weathered for five years. They also said that Behr had recently hired away three top scientists from Benjamin Moore. My painter had told me this story about the scientists as well. It had the ring to me of the kind of urban legend/propaganda that gets passed around and becomes truth. Anyone know one way or the other? Just curious.

For those who were wondering, I found the Behr on sale at Home Depot for $18.99 a gallon. The Benjamin Moore "Moorglo Softgloss medium

0962b" which the painter had been using can be found on sale for $27.99.

Thanks.

Tim

Reply to
TB

I think you are right with thinking HDs explanation is just BS. Behr *used* to be good until they got hooked up with HD. I have some properties and on a few occasions needed paint when the local Sherwin-Williams store was closed. The Behr super duper best quality paint is not even close in quality to the standard Sherwin-Williams paint we usually use. I can't comment on Benjamin Moore because it doesn't sem to be commom here but there are 2 Sherwin-Williams stores within 10 miles.

Reply to
George

Bs Bs Bs............bottom line profit for painter. Check his credit at the BM store, maybe he is 180 behind, and ck court records.......

Reply to
m Ransley

"TB" < wrote

What they didn't tell you is, it wasn't the Behr paint which is available at HD. It was Behr which is available at local dealers.

I don't know what it takes to get people to understand HD & Lowes order items to _their_ specifications. You are not getting the same product as when you purchase through your local dealer on certain items. In this case it's paint.

I don't put much stock in consumer reports. It is influenced by answers through questioners of it's subscribers. I have yet to see a paint specification through invitation to bid, listing Behr as the product to use. Two major players are used, BM & SW.

Reply to
Clayton

Their paint test evaluations are not based on subscribers opinions. Yes, their vehicle and appliance frequency of repair stats are based on thousands of subscribers' views, of which I am a part, but not paint. I view CR simply as a starting place. I, too, have been disappointed with some CR recommendations, for reasons they did not foresee in their testing, but I would rather get chemical engineers' test results on paint properties than rely purely on some (possibly) unqualified guy's personal opinion on the web. I still use Ben Moore almost exclusively for interior jobs, which no longer rates at the top of the list, but the CR report by itself will probably not change my allegiance to Moore, but in future I may indeed choose Behr for some applications. OTOH, I have had seriously good luck with a rather poorly evaluated brand of ext. house paint: Kelly Moore, as it has lasted longer than other outside paints I have used.

Reply to
Roger

Actually, I believe they *did* say that it was an HD product... And, I have used it since reading that review (from HD), and liked it a lot. to each, his own I guess.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

The only thing that matters is the prepration...hire a painter who will take the time to pressure wash, caulk, sand, etc. The brand name means nothing--paints all contain the same thing--pigments, binders, and fillers. Who can prove one paint brand is better than another?

The contractor is 100 x more important than the paint. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Disagree. Preparation and the contractor's attention to detail are very important, but a low quality paint simply won't last as long as a higher quality paint. No matter how good the prep and application work is, if the paint chalks or fades after two years, it is going to look BAD...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Says who? You? Prove it....cause your web link sure doesn't.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Again, what are your credentials? You don't put much stock in consumer reports... I put NO stock in anonymous internet "experts" who provide no credility whatsoever...just unsubstantiated opinion.

CR has a track record of unbiased testing. You have none.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

"Curmudgeon" wrote

Reply to
Clayton

"Bruce" wrote

Good grief man, the commercial & industrial world would eat you alive. Stick to residential.

Reply to
Clayton

When it comes to paint, you get what you pay for. END OF STORY.

Paint technology isn't rocket science. Anyone can make either high quality or low cost paint but not at the same time.

The Behr garbage will require more coats, more labor, and it'll fail sooner. Take your choice.

Reply to
davefr

I have no allegiance to any brand. How can you argue that CR's testing is faulty? It seems pretty empirical without built-in biases. Behr does perform better for them, and over time.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

CR has very little credibility. I'll take real life experiences from this newsgroup anyday over CR's opinion.

Behr has failed to impress most users here.

Reply to
davefr