Bedbug Control?

Any advice on something that will kill bedbugs?

Reply to
Duff2

bedbugs are a _real_ problem to get rid of. We got a dose of them from my cousin on a visit backin the 40s. Tried everything but nothing would get _all_ of them and the population would boom again. Washing all bedclothes and clothing is a start but they survive in crevices and cracks. Finally tented and fumigated the house. That may be the only solution.

Phone your local pest control service to get a good answer.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

With bedbugs, the only alternative to pesticides is a can of kerosene and a match.

Reply to
Norminn

And now I lay me down to sleep, A thousand bedbugs 'round me creep. And if I shall be bitten before I wake, I pray to God their jaws will break.

Maybe if you sleep somewhere else for a few weeks they will die of starvation. At least that's an alternative to pesticides.

Reply to
Phisherman

In Las Vegas once, they found a body between the mattress and box spring. In THAT case they needed a Medical Examiner.

Reply to
Oren

Duff2 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Your smelly farts aren't killing them off?!!!

Reply to
Stephen King

big_dgreen had written this in response to

: Are bed bugs real?

That's gross.

Take a shower, burn your mattress, get a new one with new sheets and bomb your house and bedroom.

Then start bathing regularly, brush your teeth, wipe your bum. (with toilet paper).

Alternatively you should move out of the ghetto because thats where bed bugs must come from since I've never heard anyone actually having a problem with that..

If you can't do that. Go get a new job that can make the money magic happen so you can do these things.

Also take all your pets to the remington farm because they can bring those in..I use a 22 because it just seems cheaper and more fun, you can fire more rounds.

Also...

Well i better shut up or I'll go home and then i'll have a problem with bedbugs. That's my luck.

------------------------------------- Duff2 wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 286157 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
big_dgreen

Used beds from hotels are recovered, sold as reconditioned and not sterilized and sold with bedbugs, junk the bed, and talk to a pro, bed bugs dont just live in beds.

Reply to
ransley

Local ordinances are being put into place here. It prevents beds being placed /sold back to the community without license /inspection..

I'm itching now!

Reply to
Oren

Mattresses are not the main issue with bedbugs. From Wikipedia:

"Bedbugs travel easily and quickly along pipes and boards, and their bodies are very flat, which allows them to hide in tiny crevices. In the daytime, they tend to stay out of the light, preferring to remain hidden in such places as mattress seams, mattress interiors, bed frames, nearby furniture, carpeting, baseboards, inner walls, tiny wood holes, or bedroom clutter. Bedbugs can be found on their own, but more often congregate in groups. Bedbugs are capable of travelling as far as 100 feet to feed, but usually remain close to the host in bedrooms or on sofas where people may sleep."

"Bedbugs are generally active only at dawn, with a peak attack period about an hour before dawn, though given the opportunity, they may attempt to feed at other times. Attracted by warmth and the presence of carbon dioxide, the bug pierces the skin of its host with two hollow tubes. With one tube it injects its saliva, which contains anticoagulants and anesthetics, while with the other it withdraws the blood of its host. After feeding for about five minutes, the bug returns to its hiding place. The bites cannot usually be felt until some minutes or hours later, as a dermatological reaction to the injected agents. Although bedbugs can live for a year or as much as 18 months without feeding, they typically seek blood every five to ten days. Bedbugs that go dormant for lack of food often live longer than a year, well-fed specimens typically live six to nine months. Low infestations may be difficult to detect, and it is not unusual for the victim not to even realize they have bedbugs early on. Patterns of bites in a row or a cluster are typical as they may be disturbed while feeding. Bites may be found in a variety of places on the body.

Bedbugs may be erroneously associated with filth in the mistaken notion that this attracts them. However, severe infestations are often associated with poor housekeeping and clutter. Bedbugs are attracted by exhaled carbon dioxide and body heat, not by dirt, and they feed on blood, not waste. In short, the cleanliness of their environments ..... does not have a direct affect on bedbugs as they feed on their hosts and not on waste. Good housekeeping in association with proper preparation and mechanical removal by vacuuming will certainly assist in control."

Reply to
Dave Bugg

There was a report on 20-20 or something this week where they bought

20 or so Recovered-renewed old beds and found bed bugs in 2 or 3, in NY the law is to sterilise them, but there is no guidline or requirement in place stating what Sterilise means. So the guys attatches the label, had bug spray on hand, but its means nothing. Dont buy a used bed, This show removed the new covers that were over old, live bed bugs, Ive heard they hibernate for up to a year, like fleas, waiting for the next meal-you. Recycled hotel etc beds are junk, full of mites, mold, skin, pollen and who knows what.
Reply to
ransley