Bathtub Replacement or Refinishing? Acrylic?

Studies have shown that homes where the bath tub that is not filled with water, stay ring free. Apparently they still used the bath, but only for taking showers. As far as the plastics go, it only takes one helping hand to come along once and clean the tub with the wrong cleaner to ruin it. Someone who is visiting and feels that they should help out, so they clean the tub for you. Other things like dropping finger nail polish remover will put a big blemish in it. But maybe the chances of that happening over a 5 years period are zero. The good thing about plastic tubs are that the hot water will stay hot longer in it. I personally can,t soak myself in a tub that is not all shined up. I feel that germs cannot live in shiny objects. I have never seen any home paint be as good as the factory baked on stuff. In fact, I have never seen a do it yourself kit for any project to be as good as what they did at the factory. My ideal bathroom would be seamless, no corners, nothing dark or dark shadows, all surfaces glossy, and cool white, and no busy designs like marble or such, a slopping floor with a drain. If you can bring in a fire hose for a good rinse, if it looks clean and dry when done, perfect.

Reply to
davidlaska

That's one way. Another way is to not use (real) soap.

Yet another way is to use a lime soap dispersant when (real) soap is used, either mixed with the soap or added separately to the water (as bath foam, for instance).

Yet another way is to use the shower only, and not let the water back up. You may still get a layer of scum, just not as prominent as a ring.

Robert

Reply to
robgood

I put in an Americast tub about 15 years ago. I guess it is acrylic. Can't use standard cleansers. Products like Scrubbing Bubbles work very well and don't damage the surface. The tub still look almost new. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

My bathroom is 5x7. The tub is at one end with a wall on three sides. The commode is a few inches away and the vanity a few inches on the other side of the commode. I had thought there would not be enough room to take the tub out without moving the commode at least.

I've been using spray on Comet for cleaning since replacing both shower doors....one set of doors came with the recommendation to use it and it has worked well.

Reply to
Dottie

You're right. Sorry.

I didn't doubt that.

Reply to
mm

I too have decided against refinishing it. I'm going to save up and do it right!

Also, in my bathroom, the window is right there above the tub. Can I find tubs that allow for this or will I need to actually hire someone to deal with this? I've never seen tubs with the full surround have an option for a window.

Reply to
HomeDecoy