Bathtub Door Recommendation

Do any of you have sliding doors on your bathtub, and if so, how do you like them? Looking to hear if people are happy with these, and if so what they recommend. Or if you don't feel they are a good choice, please share that experience, too.

Thankins in advance for any ideas.

Reply to
kc

I put a sliding door on the tub in a place I had in Vermont. The problem was that the edge was sort of sharp, and you had to make a point of not hitting it. I've had two swinging doors on showers, and have been much happier with those. A sliding door on a shower is also Ok. In all cases, especially the swinging ones, you need to be sure to have them pitched correctly so water doesn't come out places you don't want it. Silicon caulk is your friend...

Reply to
professorpaul

They were on the tubs in a condo I once had. Hated them, took them off, trashed them and put on shower curtains. Curtains are not without problems either, tend to blow in.

Reply to
dadiOH

I hate sliding doors. We just moved into a house with these in the tub in the

2nd bathroom.

In the winter, when I can't use the hose on the deck, I have to clean cat boxes in there (and occasionally other things too big for the sink) and the track is (literally!) a pain as I lean across it. And having access to only 1/2 the tub at a time is a problem for cleaning things in the tub or the tub itself.

My husband doesn't agree and mocks me when I talk of removing the doors, accusing me of wanting to remove the beautiful doors to put up a "grody old shower curtain," but I'm waiting for him to do some winter diving and try to clean his gear in there! (The followup to the move here, plus some other things, kept him from the water last winter.)

I think parents would find the same issues come in with bathing young children!

On top of that, our door may be contributing to the leaking into the walls around the tub which we have to address (the marble wasn't sealed before the door was installed - in fact, it's still not sealed). But you shouldn't have that problem if it's installed right.

I do think shower curtains can give great character to a bath if they're chosen right - and contrary to my husband's opinion, they can be laundered and look great.

Anne

Reply to
Anne

Thanks for your comments Anne. We have sliding doors now, a three panel unit made by Sterling (a division of Kohler) that came with the house. There have been some annoyances, doors occasionally jumping the track and getting out of alignment, leaning over the lower track rail to bathe small kids in the tub, some water leakage.

We're doing some work on the bathroom now, and are considering either replacing the door system with another one, or going with the shower curtain as you want to do. That prompted me to see if there were any satisfied customers out there, who were happy with a bathtub door system. I suppose folding doors might be an option, too

Reply to
kc