bathroom - vinyl floor installation - didn't remove toilet

We just hired a flooring company to install my mother's floor. They were supposed to removed the toilet to install the Armstrong vinyl floor. The installer just cut around the toilet and then caulked around it (poorly). I am worried water will get under it and ruin the floor and subfloor. Will this installation be a problem over time? I thought the toilet was always supposed to be picked up to install flooring in a bathroom? I am not happy with the install because of this but they refuse to do anything but recaulk around it.

Reply to
Michelle

We just hired a flooring company to install my mother's floor. They were supposed to removed the toilet to install the Armstrong vinyl floor. The installer just cut around the toilet and then caulked around it (poorly). I am worried water will get under it and ruin the floor and subfloor. Will this installation be a problem over time? I thought the toilet was always supposed to be picked up to install flooring in a bathroom? I am not happy with the install because of this but they refuse to do anything but recaulk around it.

Reply to
Michelle

What do you have in writing? If the contract says that they have to do it the right way, then make them redo it at their expense.

Reply to
scott21230

I doubt it will cause any problems. The tile is only 1/8" thick, right? It should have no effect whether if the toilet was removed or not. As long as its caulked right. Does not have to be pretty, just waterproof. The only problem I could see in the future is if one day you replace the toilet, and the new one has a smaller base the the original, it will show where the cuts were.

Reply to
Mikepier

Just like to add the only time the toilet should be removed is during a new mud job or ceramic tile installation. But as far as vinyl tile, I really don't think its necessary.

Reply to
Mikepier

We just hired a flooring company to install my mother's floor. They were supposed to removed the toilet to install the Armstrong vinyl floor. The installer just cut around the toilet and then caulked around it (poorly). I am worried water will get under it and ruin the floor and subfloor. Will this installation be a problem over time? I thought the toilet was always supposed to be picked up to install flooring in a bathroom? I am not happy with the install because of this but they refuse to do anything but recaulk around it.

Reply to
Michelle

The other option is if you are OK with the substandard work, and you have what you really wanted in writing, is to ask for a refund for what you paid for vs what you got.

Reply to
scott21230

Be somewhat thankful they DIDN'T remove it. Sounds to me like if they're the kind of outfit which doesen't deliver what they promised they might have F'd up removing and replacing the toilet, like not using a new wax ring or buggering up the water supply hardware.

Learn to live with it. I've noticed that the next annoying thing to come down the line puts the previous one in perspective.

Feel better now?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Personally I'm a bit puzzled as to why anyone would want the toilet sitting on top of vinyl.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Don't have anything in writing - just a verbal from the saleslady who I ordered through. She told me he would be lifting it and replacing seal then and said it wasn't a big deal to lift it. My mother asked the installer straight out if he was going to lift it when he came to do it and he said he wasn't told to. She didn't know what to do (she is a senior) and we were having a wedding there 3 days later - time was essential. When I complained later another salesman at the store says the installer gave my mother the option which is a total lie and says they didn't tell the installer to do it as "it would require a plumber" - another lie as their saleslady said they were going to do it after the same installer measured it out the week before. They are a big store and are supposed to be professional installers - obviously they are not. I will never deal with them again as I am appalled at the service I received.

Reply to
Michelle