Bathroom fan/light combo not working correctly

I have a fan/light combo in my bathroom that has a strange problem. It is controlled by 2 separate wall switches. One switch turns on both the fan and lights but the other switch, which used to turn on just the fan, does nothing. I'm assuming I just have a bad switch since I can turn on the fan/light with the other switch.

Reply to
cfrank01

Normally you would want independent control of both the fan and the light with two switches. Possibly your electrician was lazy or forgot to run two separate switched hot wires to the fixture (which also needs a neutral white wire).

Or...

Maybe someone thought it would be more convenient to have the fan come on with the light and rewired the fixture. (or the switches).

Shut off the power and do an inspection. As stated above, you need two switched hot wires and a neutral going to the fan and light to make it work independently.

Better still, put a timer on the fan circuit and you'll never have to worry about someone leaving it on.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber