Bathroom Ceiling Prep for Painting

We are having our bathroom gutted and remodelled, including the addition of an exhaust fan.

The walls shall be covered with tile. That leaves the ceiling for me to paint properly.

What is the recommended procedure for sealing greenboard at the ceiling in preparation for painting?

Is an oil based sealant proper?

Should flat paint be used?

I hate to paint; so, I want to do this correctly the first time, and hopefully painting again at a later time will be easier to do.

Thanks.

Reply to
Vince

No oil based primer sealer. Use a good 123 or Kilz - water based.. They also have mold prevetitive paint additive. I would it to both the paint and primer if you are concern about mold.

Use a good semi-gloss and you will be all set.

Reply to
c_kubie

Agreed - Use an ole primer for drywall. PVA, IIRC, is one type. Then use a semigloss paint, not flat. It will show drywall imperfections more than flat paint so make sure its completely smooth. Semi is better in moist areas. Make sure your vent fan vent to outside, not to attic. If your bathroom is vented properly you will not have mildew issues and wont need an additive, although it couldn't hurt, its probably a waste of money. Paint before tile then you wont need to cut in or worry about splatter on the tile. Ceiling mounted lights will highlight ceiling imperfections A LOT more than wall mounted lights.

Reply to
No

I don't think an oil primer is necessary. You could use a water-based Kilz-like product, or a regular water based primer.

No flat paint in the bath -- flat allows moisture to soak in. Something with a gloss -- satin, semi-gloss -- creates a hard barrier. Moisture can form on the surface, but it won't soak in.

Whether you vent or not, I'd use a mildicide paint additive in the finish coat. It's not expensive and will help in case there's a problem. I have an unvented full bath painted with semi-gloss and I've never had a mold problem.

The other poster made a good point -- painting the ceiling before tiling will make the paint job much easier and you don't have to worry about splatter on the tiles [or masking all the walls].

Reply to
Hopkins