Bath Tub Plunger (stopper)

I have a 1955 house which I bought a few years ago. I am finally getting around to fixing the plunger which has not worked since I have had the house. This is the type that goes in through the over flow drain. It turns out that the plunger was not even in there just the linkage. So I went and bought a new one and put it in, but can not get it to work properly. Are there different sizes? Where I bought it at they only had one size. The diameter is 1 1/4od and the length is 1 3/4 (it is brass). I have adjusted and readjusted to no avail. It just does not seem long enough. It does not even slow the water down.

Thanks in advance Chris

Reply to
ChrisW

May be too short rod or the plunger is wrong; every mfr made their own size. Try hooking it to a coat hanger and drop all the way down. If still doesn't seal, you're SOL.

Personally, I'd get a big rubber (flat) stopper.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The big rubber stopper is what we have been using. Would like to have it working correctly for when we sell.

Chris

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
ChrisW

Well, if you can't find a correct stopper, you'll have to change out the whole waste and overflow assy. Nasty job. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim