Basic repair of rotten wood

Hello!

Does anyone know of any other good (non-sales-pitch) sites on replacing rotten wood around windows? This house is 40 years old - mostly in good shape, but previous owners didn't keep the windows seals. Water has gotten in, followed by termites, etc.

I found this "how to" video on repairing rotten wood. The whole series is pretty helpful to me - at least it is "believable" and not a slick production:

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing from someone who may have a good (free) online resource.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Reply to
MS Vista User

I've been doing my own home repairs for almost 30 years, and I'm pretty open minded when it comes to new ideas that might save me time or improve the quality of the final results. But, I can't see how a video about fuel management systems could help with repairing rotted wood.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or, carefully vacuum off the bulk of the dust/lint/hair, and finish the job in the shower.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OOPS! Wrong thread!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Maybe if the OP saves enough money with a fuel management system he'll be able to afford a contractor to fix his leaky windows.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't know if you're looking for carpentry tips or how to fix the wood itself. This is a commercial site- but google "rot doctor" for lots of stories of how well it works.

heard about it on the 'old boat' groups/forums/magazines. I've used it on the bottom piece of a garage door and it's looking good after 6-7 years.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Maybe if the OP saves enough money with a fuel management system he'll be able to afford a contractor to fix his leaky windows.

================

I knew I missed something. Thanks.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Man you just start removing the rotten wood one piece at at time with a flat bar or cats claw. If you go after the nails with the claw yu might be able to avoid destroying the wood. Make a note of which piece was removed and in what order. Then that rotten shit can be replaced with new wood. I have also seen rotten wood "repaired' with Bondo which is used on auto body work, not the best.

Reply to
lwhaley22000

You can either....

Remove the window and replace the wood.... Not for the faint of heart but It'll give you the nicest results. You just need to be comfortable with carpentry work. Profesisonal companies ARE out there that do this sort of work. Not really worth it unless the house has historic value and certain guidelines need to be followed.

Or

Remove the window itself and replace it with a renovation vinyl window (also called replacement windows). (cheap, easy but overall not a personal favorite)

Or

Replace the window completely and install a "new install" window. Some additional costs involved with working with the siding and fixing internal trim / drywall work. Nicest results but takes on more time and $$$$

Reply to
tksirius

There are numerous methods including using Bondo. But the best procedure is to replace the wood. You may find more rotten wood as you remove the existing wood. Most importantly, find out why there is wood rot--check flashing, caulking, drainage, etc.--else you'll be back in the same predicament in 5+ years.

Window condition is a good indicator how well the owners keep the overall property.

Reply to
Phisherman