Baseboards

What type of baseboard material is the most durable and easiest to work with, assuming a width of 1/2"?

TIA

Reply to
Augustine

Depends on what tools you want to work with and the finish you want. If it is to be painted, poplar is very popular, also known in some areas as tulip poplar or whitewood. Some people like cheap Asian mahogany or even finger jointed pine as well as MDF.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I'd like to use just the basic tools: a saw, a coping saw, a miter box, a hammer and drill. I don't intend to use quarter-rounds either.

The finish will be white paint.

Thanks.

Reply to
Augustine

If the standard 3.5" tall stuff is okay for you I would just use the pre-primed FJ-pine.

Reply to
Colbyt

MDF is the cheapest, harder than fingerjointed wood, and is less likely to split. if nailed near an edge.

RicodJour