Bagster?

Has anybody tried this? It seems like it solves a very common problem for DIYers - How to get rid of relatively small loads of construction debris.

I've rented dumpsters in the past, but between the cost, and the fact that you only get the thing for a limited time before they take it away makes them not exactly ideal.

I'm about to get one and try it, but I'd be interested to hear any one elses experience with it.

Reply to
salty

No experience but $30 to buy plus a collection fee? No Thanks.

Limp Arbor

The bag cost is a set amount.

Question on local pickup and disposal fee would be variable at different locations that could be a determining factor at each job site.

If you choose to use one, I would be interested in a report of cost and whether it was in town pickup or outside local suburbs. Who handles the pickup in small towns? etc.

Reply to
RLM

They have all that info on the website. It's not available everywhere. You punch in your street address and if they service that address, they give you the flat rate cost for a pickup. For both of my houses it's under $150. I'm in Connecticut. Both properties are suburban.

3 CY Bag - Mixed Waste Load price $139.00 Tax $8.34 Total$147.34 Each Additional Bagster bag price$119.00 Tax$7.14 Total$126.14

(Slight discount on additional bags picked up in one trip)

Reply to
salty

Thanks, I didn't see that at the site but the cost you quote seems reasonable to me.

Reply to
RLM

It's the link on the home page to "Collection Fees" :')

Reply to
salty

They currently don't service my area! Might have known.

Reply to
RLM

Depends on the volume. If you add the price of the bag, the cost per yard is $59 per yard. I can get a 40 yard container for $600 or $15 per yard. You can fit about 4 yards in the back of a pickup. If you have a local guy that does dump runs, he'd have to charge you $240 to be equal. My first thought would be to check the local paper for the attic/cellar cleaners.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just did an addition and I put up to a couple hundred pounds of stuff by the curb every week for a month and a half. When it was really ugly I took them each a bottle of water with a $10 wrapped around it and helped them throw it in the truck .

Reply to
gfretwell

Holy Cow!

I guess I am spoiled. I can take 2 CY to the city dump for free, and it is open 7 days / week. Also, with an account, I get my 40 yd dumpsters for around $400 +/-.

I think the big "metro dump", operated by Waste Mangement, only charge $13 / ton (or so) for larger loads.

Anyone using 1-800-Got Junk?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

What a coincidence. I saw one for the first time yesterday. They had it slightly filled with a small amount of plant branches.

I may have to throw away my 12 foot by 6 foot standard construction all-wood deck. Do you think that weighs less than 3500 pounds.

What would my deck weigh? It's two feet off the ground, so the legs don't weigh that much.

They probably charge by the pound. No, they don't. I'm in the near

to medium suburbs of Baltimore 129 dollars for the first bag, 99 dollars for each additional bag. I can hardly belive my neigbhors are going to get their money's worth. Baltimore County abolished free bulk pickup a decade ago, but had a contract with someone for a fixed price, 10, 20, 40 dollars I forget. But they abandoned that too, and now everyone is on his own. :(

...I think my friend has a guy at work with his own pickup who will take the stuff to the dump for less, and help me carry it from the back of my house to the street too. So even though the bagster sounded like "fun", it's too expensive.

This part "*Heavy Materials / Weight Restrictions: The Bagster bag can hold 1 cubic yard of heavy materials. Bagster will not pick up any bags containing more than 1 cubic yard of heavy debris. Heavy materials include, but are not limited to dirt, brick, rock, concrete, asphalt, sand, gravel and sod. Heavy materials should be placed at the bottom of the bag no more then 10 inches up from the bottom of the bag.

Load Capacity: Materials can not be sticking up over the sides or top of the Bagster bag. Distribute weight evenly and load heaviest items at the bottom of the Bagster bag." reads very much like what was on an iron dumpster I looked at recently.

Reply to
mm

I called them about my water heater. The minimum price was for 1/4 of a truckload, which was far more than I needed.

There used to be a guy in this n'hood with a sign above the cab of his pickup, maybe he even had two trucks I saw them so often. But I haven't seen him for a couple years.

I took a king size mattress and spring to the dump, but there's a limit to what I can put in a LeBaron convertibve.

Reply to
mm

Not possible here.

And although Edwin's 40 Yard dumpster is cheaper by the pound, it has a few drawbacks. First, I only need to dispose of about a cubic yard of roofing and some drip edge. Second, I can fill it at MY pace. There is no rental or time limit as to how long I can take to fill it. They don't even know I have it until I call for pickup.

Reply to
salty

Very dangerous to burn painted or treated wood for heat.

I have about a cubic yard of asphalt roofing material to get rid of, chucklehead. When the bagster folks take it to the reclamation center to dump it, it will get recycled, and probably used for paving roads. That process will also reclaim the thousands of nails embedded in the roofing.

Reply to
salty

Metal is easy to get rid of. Go to

search for scrap and you find plenty of people who will come pick it up for free. The only exception might be a fride or AC unit but try anyway.

Or take it to the scrapyard yourself and make a buck or two. They weigh you on the way in and on the way out and pay you for the difference. Copper & Aluminum are worth the time & gas right now.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I pile it up beside the house until I have enough and then rent a van from the borg. I can make it to the dump and return the van in less than 90 minutes. I can move 2 yards of debris for less than $100 total.

Reply to
Cam in Toronto

I just segregated all the metal when I was cleaning up and set it by the curb. The record was 43 minutes before a batch of aluminum was gone, No metal has even seen daybreak.

Reply to
gfretwell

What about an electric water heater? Would anyone want one of those?

I could disassemble the next water heater, without too much trouble.

The problem is that there is no through-traffic here, and my neighors are I guess in the, not sure, 40th to 70th percentile of income, too much money to pick up scrap and too little into repairs to pick up junk (except for me)

Reply to
mm

I'm confused. Don't the borgs rent vans for something like 10 or 20 dollars for 90 minutes. How do you get close to 100 dollars?

OTOH, how long to load 2 yards into the van? 10 or 20 minutes, or 30?

Reply to
mm

I like your attitude, but what would I do with my 6 x 12' deck.

Do you really think if I placed 25 year old wood on Craig's list, for free, anyone would want any of it? Half is pressure treated and I guess the other half is not.

Will someone who heats with wood mind that it is painted?

Plus a few cinder blocks.

I recycle quite a bit, but I think I'm stumped on my old deck.

Reply to
mm