backyard annihilation in Indianapolis IN

A new septic system was installed today to replace a 54 year old original system. The 1/4 acre back yard is now a roughly graded wasteland of dirt. Does anyone with experience have sound advice on a plan for attempting to restoring the lawn before winter? We have a few large shade trees that make growing grass in one half the yard a real challenge while the other have gets good sun for now. The question is how long to wait for the malestrom to settle and regrade with a bobcat and then re-seed without running up against the impending fall leaf covering. Why not wait for spring you ask? I have two spoiled dogs who love the outdoors and a white tile floor.\\

TIA,

Tim H.

Reply to
TimH

AFAIK, fall is the best time to seed a lawn in most of the northern US. (Intense drying periods of summer are past.)

Shade-mix in one part, your choice in sunny part.

Very likely, you can get seed started before it's time to use leaf-blower, as opposed to rake, to remove leaves from above. Small amount of leaves remaining in place is no problem for grass; in fact, they offer some protection. Worms _love_ maple, ash, most anything but oak.

Depending, you might want to till in peat moss or manure or whatever amendments will help grass, into top 6-8".

Grass will continue growing until hard frost.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

I agree on the fall as being the best time. I am told that planting in the fall gives the grass a chance to strengthen a root system before spring.

Also I strongly agree on blower vs mowing for new grass. For the first few mowings, sharpen the blade and keep the bed higher than normal.

One thing though, why amendments to 6-8"? I have always been told that grass "lives" in the top 2" of soil. I could have been told wrong. :-)

FACE

Reply to
FACE