Advice needed on shower gray water system in Los Angeles

Hello,

There may be a "green" board that covers this but this group seems to know everything. Several years ago when a wall was open I segregated off a shower drain for garden use-- now working on the hookup system. BG; house is in Los Angeles and have about 1000 sf of lawn. The shower is used 2-4 times daily. House has approx 3ft crawl space and just a few 3 ft square access openings.

The plan: because of crawl space opening issues; use series of 20'-4' pvc drain pipe to create a downward sloping, winding "intestine" containment system. At the end if it, in ground would be a holding tank with a (switched) sump pump with garden hose attached. At the junction of the split-off of the shower drain line there would by a "y" so that when the system was full the overflow would go directly to the sewer line.

Questions; is this feasable? Does the tank need its own vent? Filters-- wasn't planning any-- it's heavily diluted shower water only. The sump pump-- prefer not to buy some big unit but am hoping it will be strong enough produce small spray from sprinkler.

Thanks for advice, and while cost of water here is low we pay for it both ways; coming in and in sewer charges. More than that having a lawn in a semi-desert is not that repsonsible and this plan helps mitigate that.

Reply to
eco-la

You should be able to pass a 55 gallon plastic drum through a 3' space. most have bungs that can be plumbed. As for venting- remember anything plumbed to a sewer line needs a vent so that water in the traps isn't sucked out allowing sewer gas in. But you might cheat with one of those vacuum breaker valves. I doubt you will find a small pump to power a sprinkler as most are designed to run on 40 psi or better.

Reply to
beecrofter

They will still charge you for the water you spray on your lawn. They go by the water meter for sewerage. If I lived there in the desert I would use all the water, grey and black for irrigation and fertilizer. Plants will love it.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

In Tucson AZ, during construction, I ran the drain line for my washing machine to the ABS and ran it out beneath the soil outside rather than into the sewer (septic) system. The washer put out 100 gallons of water on laundry day..once a week.I ran the pipe down a short grade outside in the yard to where I buried a ~30 gallon plastic pail ( originally for 3" pool pucks). I ran two 1/2" blk vinyl drip water lines out of the bottom/side of the pail and circled the 1/2 acre front yard where there were native Mesquite and Acacia trees..probably 15-20 of them. I also ran some 1/4" dripline to a large Ocotillo and a couple of Fan-Tex ash trees I had planted.

The trees loved the stuff..didnt care about the soap..had the best looking yard in the neighborhood and FREE drip water. BTW, no lawn, all aggregate paths & rocks with a couple of bridges over small washes.

Reply to
Rudy