B&D Sawzall

Hi Steve... Kudos!

Reply to
Ryton

The age seems about right. Has it departed for the landfill yet? If not and you are interested in selling the gear, what is the model number?

Reply to
Ryton

My "rule of thumb" is to say what you mean and mean what you say. I'd ask for a Sawzall because I'm only interested in buying the Milwaukee brand as it is still the best made. If I was looking for a less expensive brand for someone that rarely uses such a tool, I'd ask for a recipricating saw.

You know the difference. An educated person pandering to the lowest common denominator? Say it isn't so.

I'm not a big fan of lawyers, but I do have respect for grammar teachers. Proper use of our language is the best and most accurate way to communicate. I prefer not to compromise myself. You may do as you please.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I guess you don't get out much, do you?

My experience lately with sales people is that you absolutely have to stoop to whatever level you have to to conduct the transaction. You have to spell things out. You have to explain things in exact detail. You can't even give the cashier $21.36 for a $16.36 purchase because that confuses them too much.

In our experience, who really goes in and speaks proper English when dealing with a sales geek that speaks English as a second language? Or who speaks Eubonics, or Street GenX? Who asks for EXACTLY what they want when they are dealing with a young salesperson that hasn't got a clue what you're talking about.

The things you suggest may happen in a perfect world, Edwin. Just not on this planet.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

So you'd rather just cave in and let the "know nothings" rule the retail world? I guess I'm not one to just take the easy way out and not do things the proper way. The more we stoop to the lowest common denominator, the lower it goes. I try to maintain high standards, difficult as it is at times.

Our education system is one of the worst in industrialized nations. Much is attributable, IMO, to the acceptance of second rate learning. I think a "C" is just getting by, but some parents think that is plenty good for junior and praise him for it. We push the kids out of school and turn them loose on the working world with sub-standard skills. As long as we accept that, nothing will improve. We may never have the perfect world, but it sure as hell can be better if we make an effort.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mr. Ed... You have definitely earned the shit disturber (pun intended) award. Do you also rudely interrupt other people's conversations with your verbal diarrhea or should I say irrelevant tripe?

Reply to
Ryton

Don't you just love newsgroups? Freedom of speech and all that stuff and no one can do much about it. You can bitch, complain, call people names, but otherwise you are powerless.

While it may be tripe and irrelevant to you, some of us enjoy a good debate and strong discussion of ethics. It is how our Founding Fathers made the US of A such a great country. Aren't you happy to be a part of it? I am, and proud of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin, I agree 105% with what you are saying. In high school, I was in honor English all four years. And at a time when only three years of English was required. I learned proper English from a perfectionist. I enjoy being able to speak, communicate, and write in proper form. I pride myself in my spelling and grammar, although at times I do get a little lax.

In this world, it is nice to go about one's business with pride and confidence. It doesn't mean squat to others, but within my own skin, it makes ME feel a lot better.

That being said, it brings us to the rest of the world. I was in downtown LA, where I saw a building that had "Stationary Store" on the front. It is still there. How many people here get it?

I see professionally made signs, metallic car door business ads, billboards, and newspaper items that are misspelled or have bad grammar. I still get the message, although it gives me a chuckle.

When I was a supervisor in the Gulf of Mexico, my crews were people from "da wooods" of Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and wherever. I had to adapt my speech to get the message across to them. Sure, they understood good and proper English, yet something was lost in the relationship.

A good salesman, a good supervisor, a good leader, and a good socializer adjusts to the audience.

Forever being proper is a boor that turns off most people. It certainly does me, and I rate myself as a rather intelligent person.

Yes, things today aren't what they used to be. Welcome to reality. Cope. Change.

When one stops changing and adapting, they die, because they become stuck in time .........

Why bread used to be a quarter

Gas used to be fifteen cents

Cigars used to be a nickel

You get the picture.

WGAF?

No one.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Of cousre is is still there; it cannot move ;)

Adaptation and change are good, but there are times to hold your ground. Knowing when makes the difference between success and failure. Adapting to achieve a goal is far different than accepting second rate behavior as being the norm and being good.

Want to become a part of the greatest Superpower the world has ever known? Learn Chinese. The world as we know it is going to be greatly changed in the next 25 to 50 years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you would like to send Mr. Ed your thoughts, his email address is snipped-for-privacy@snet.net . Great for spammers too!

Reply to
Ryton

the e... should read eps

Reply to
Ryton

Sorry the e... should read esp

Reply to
Ryton

It is so in so many ways. Poor speech. Poor manners. Poor driving.

Then the first thing to do would be throw out the teacher's union, but that ain't gonna happen.

We can only set our own standards, and answer to ourselves. When we do otherwise, we become liberals.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, it's long gone. About 2 years ago. Definately worth fixing if you can get the part. Like I said, mine lasted 20 years and I used it for a handyman business for many of those years, then used it on the farm, so it got hard use.

I dont do much building anymore but still would like to get another recip saw one of these days. It will either be a Milwaukee, or if I can find one of those older B&D's. I WON'T be a new B&D or worse yet, a Skil.

I was wishing I had a recip saw last week when I had to cut the muffler off my car. I finally used my angle grinder.

I see the battle continues on here.... Too bad we can not email out chill pills.

Reply to
maradcliff

Hi... Thanks for the reply. I figured but had to ask. This ancient constuction grade model B&D Sawzall (needle bearings throughout) was used by my carpenter brother-in-law for years. Its failure was the result of the trust ring's cover retaining screws working loose (common design - even in my Hitachi). It's always better to fix, if economically feasible, than filling-up the landfill, IMHO.

I just finished repairing one of his old Skilsaws which had a failed fan-end armature bushing (a couple of hours and < $1). Anyway, I will give it to our local Seniors Centre (They make outdoor furniture and kids play equipment) and the Sawzall will go there as well if I can find the part.

Yes, it would be great to send Mr. Ed some sort of pill (LOL) as this thread should not have been more than my original post with an email response or two for the part. Anyway, dealing with his kind is something to be expected I guess.

Reply to
Ryton

Oh my, Mr. Ryton is being mean to me. I think I&#39;m going to cry and tell my mommy on him. He is a big boy and has me scared. .

I do have good spam filters too, but most here are too mature to follow your childish, pathetic, suggestion. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Of course you would not have taken the time to mention that unless you really cared. You do love me, don&#39;t you? Your friend always, Mr. Ed (oh, if I&#39;m the talking part, which part are you???)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I&#39;m with you on the grammar and language usage but don&#39;t get too pedantic. Ever say Thermos when you really mean a vacuum bottle of another brand? Course most of the "thermos" things are really vacuum bottles anymore.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I agree, the world will be greatly changed in

25-5-0 years, but neither I nor you know how. A flue epidemic could change everything and could even make the Chinese powerhouse irrelevant in world economics. The Islamic fundamentalist problem (terror) could change everything that we know or now anticipate. And don&#39;t forget science. What new inventions equivalent to, air planes, computers, antibiotics, etc will be widely available and used in less than 50 years. Plan on the Chinese taking over and it may turn out to be the Indonesians. Could even be the French, but that thought is too horrible to contemplate.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Edwin Pawlowski"> wrote

Cave? Let them? Hardly. I just try to avoid them.

I guess I&#39;m not one to just take the easy way out and not do things

I try to do both, take the easy way out AND do things the proper way. I do most of my purchasing online.

The more we stoop to the lowest common denominator, the

Nothing wrong with the 1st part, but as far as the 2nd part goes.....you can lead a horse to water....

Well, I have never considered myself a *we* and people that do deserve to be boxed up with the other *we&#39;s* of the world. It is far less expensive, an option for everyone that is unwilling to settle for 2nd best, and believe it or not - a rocket surgeons degree is not necessary to homeschool ones children to a level far beyond the capability of the public prisons, er, schools. What homeschooling does require though is parents that really care about their kids, not just talk about it but do it. Unfortunately it seems that most parents today are satisfied with the hugely expensive daycare service provided by the fedgov while they toil to pay for that service and hangout at the happy hours. The public schools will get much, much worse before people decide to do something about it.

Reply to
Don