Awning Problems

The rear part of my house really gets blasted by the rain. The negligible roof overhang makes things worse. As a result, the rear door to my deck is getting damaged, and tends to swell up making it hard to open. As well, the trim molding is taking a beating (cracking in places). The window next to the door is also getting damaged.

I hired a company to install an awning over my rear door and window. It is a fixed (i.e. not retractable) canvas awning, protrudes 4' out from the building. My specific instructions to them were to install something to protect the rear door and window from rain.

We hard our first rain, and the awning didn't work at all. There is a small gap where the canvas awning meets the side of the house. Water is pouring through the gap, down onto the door and window.

Am I being reasonable in expecting the canvas awning to have kept the water out? Before talking to these guys, I'd like to understand whether their work was deficient, or if there was a miscommunication and I wound up asking for something not feasible.

Reply to
bay_bridge_tgv

This is a picky, but important point. They are protecting the door from rain. They are not protecting the door from water running down the side of the house.

There should have been better communication as to exactly what you wanted as a result and what the capability of the awning is. Perhaps it can be corrected with a different mounting setup, a flashing board over the awning tops, etc. I'd guess that it can be corrected, fairly easily, and everyone will be happy. Talk to the installer, let him know your problem, see what he can come up with.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski