Auto Drip Coffee Makers

I have a Mr.Coffee...one with all the extra buttons for delayed-brew, clean ,etc. (model ISX43) The question: does the "regular/strong" selection do anything? It appears to taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Consumer Reports magazine tabulates results like these from time to time, and usually tells us which brands or models behave this way (viz. taste the same whatever the setting.) This allows people to choose brands that behave the way they prefer.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

to >taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

Not familiar with your coffee maker, but the only way to get a stronger brew is to use less water. That is how my Keurig operates at least. Does it dispense the same amount of water?

Reply to
Thomas

My guess is the water sits in the basket longer with the STRONG setting. Not sure it actually produces a stronger brew though.

Reply to
badgolferman

Agree...and that would also depend on the type of filter (or density of it).

Reply to
Bob_Villa

How would you make the watersit in the basket longer???

Reply to
hrhofmann

You restrict the hole that drains the water as it goes over the grounds. There is an optimum residence time for the water to extract the coffee chemicals, as well as an optimal temperature. Too long and too hot makes crappy coffee as does too short and too cold.

This is what my wife uses

Along with a burr grinder for truly fresh coffee.

This is how to get really good coffee

Ed Pawlowski

Not sure you explained anything here...?

Reply to
Bob_Villa

That's the url for Technivorm home page, not a specific model.

Do you use a model with a glass or thermal carafe?

We just switched to a thermal carafe and like the way it doesn't cook the coffee. I can be less precise with the automatic start time since I know it won't be cooking for an hour if I sleep a little later or if there's a long time span before I grab a second cup.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I use a burr grinder and a French press.

Reply to
trader4

I use a French Press when I want to make a single cup of coffee just for myself. That's usually a late night decaf.

While the water is boiling I spend the wait time setting up the drip machine for the next morning's full pot.

Multitasking!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My wife worked with a Colombian guy who says you should get the coffee damp and leave it that way for 15-30 minutes before you hit brew. It is supposed to "open" the flavors in the bean. I notice that does make a difference It does seem a bit stronger but I am not sure that is better or worse ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

,etc. (model ISX43)

taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

I looked around the net a little. Until I got bored, which didn't take long. One guy with a Kitchenaid having those settings said he found the "weak" setting channeled more water into a groove in the basket behind the filter, bypassing the grounds. Stupid design, but that's what he said. He said it was stupid too, and didn't use a setting that allowed channeling. The consensus with the Mr Coffee guys having a "normal" and "strong" setting is that the strong setting feeds water into the basket more slowly, and takes longer to brew a pot. You could confirm that by running water through a cycle with both settings, and accurately timing each. The coffee purists say a slower feed "overextracts," causing bitterness. That's all I know. Never had those settings. When I want stronger coffee, I use more grounds.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Thermal

Keeps it hot long enough for her use. If she wants a cup much later, it gets nuked.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, I believe you have stated this very succinctly!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

,etc. (model ISX43)

taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

First off, I like bold coffee (from my days drinking real Italian expressos...long story) so I buy bold ground coffee from the grocery and use a cheap coffee maker for my coffee. And like you, if I want it stronger (not usually) I just add more. And if that's not good enough for me, I then go to Starbucks or McD for a double expresso or latte or both. I know the coffee purists will say this isn't how you drink good coffee but it works for me despite them.

Reply to
Doug

,etc. (model ISX43)

taste the same and take the same time to brew!? Thanks!

Hi, What water are you guys using for making coffee? We use under sink installed multi-stage filters, RO, UV light produced water. We don't drink water out of tap.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Carbon filtered tap water. Good tasting, now odors. Makes for better beverages, both hot and alcoholic if you use ice cubes or a splash of water.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

For years I used my wife's Brita filtered water for coffee and just this week I used tap water just for my own coffee and I couldn't taste the difference. I used Houston tap water FWIW. I'm not saying Houston's water is that good but rather I just couldn't taste the difference. My wife will probably disagree with my taste buds but that's my take on the filtered and unfiltered water we use.

Reply to
Doug

Hmm, If you are a smoker, I understand. Typical multi stage filter has sediment filter-GAC(granularized activated charcoal) filter- carbon block filter-RO membrane-coconut polishing filter-Deionizer or UV light. I replace filters every 6 months, RO membrane every 2 years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang