attic storage with Trusses Question?

I was considering adding some shelving in my attic. My house is 14 years old and built with manufactured trusses. What I was considering doing was to put some 2x4's across some of the V's in a row and then put some plywood across to make a flat platform shelf. I wasn't planning on putting anything real heavy on these. One person said it wasn't a good idea because it could cause the 2x4's to bow after some time and then that will affect the roof. However another said it wouldn't hurt because any weight on the shelf will be supported by the 2x4's that I added and that will also keep the V of the trusses from pushing out. The 2x4's will be nailed into the V so to make it look like a V with a bar across it. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary

I did just that. Used 2x4's as cleats to the Vs. The 2x4s created a triangle, which actually makes the trusses stronger. However, there is a consideration about the weight on the ceiling rafters below. No heavy stuff up there, though.

Reply to
Phisherman

You mean he cant put his collection of REAL army tanks up there.???? Thats no fun. :)

Reply to
Me

I have a truss attic. I keep the stored stuff over areas that with walls that might help support the load and avoid the wide open areas of the living and dining rooms. No problems over 15 years this way.

Reply to
Steve Stone