Outbuilding Storage

I have a 24x40 Storage building that is primarily 2x4 construction with Engineered Trusses placed 24" OC. I would like to construct a storage area for lumber, pipe etc that would set above the trusses. The truss chords are made from 2x4's which are not full 24' length(Joined with mending plates) so I know it is not possible to put any weight on these. My thought was to purchase some LVL's to help carry the load over the 24' Span, run them full length along side of 4 truss chords. Then I could run 4x8 sheets of 3/4 " Plywood to the LVL's. Considering that I want to store ~1500 LBS on this, they would be 24" OC and a span of 25', what dimension of lumber should I go for? Are LVL's necessary or can I get away with regular lumber?

Thanks, -Mike

Reply to
Mike Bittel

Depends on how the 1500 pounds is distributed. MOst load tables are figured on an even distribution, which on your case is something trivial like 1.5 pounds per square foot. If you're talking about a point-source, like an Ox, then you should consider posting down to the ground where it's going to go.

Anyway, my tables say that 2x12s, 12" on-center, will span 24', but pretty much nothing else will. How feasible is it to run a beam lengthwise down the middle, on posts? (or even one or both sides?) that would cut your costs considerably.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default