AT&T DSL

AT&T does a fair/good job with service in the Cleveland area. I used their DSL service for about 6 years and then switched to U-verse when it became available in the neighborhood. The standard DSL failed several times until AT&T switched to another line a few poles away. They said squirrels had chewed the lines in the junction box. But it was slow such that any streaming video stopped and started and was a pain to watch.

Neighbors told me they had switched to U-verse so I called AT&T to find out if I could get it too. They insisted it was not available on my street; but the pole 10 feet from my house fed the neighbor's house and they had it, so AT&T finally came out and checked. We had U-verse installed the next week for both the phone and internet. That service has been fine now for the last couple of years. I recall only one brief failure. There's a battery back-up that's supposed to take the system through a couple of hours when the power goes out. Just checked the speed (AT&T supplies the modem and router for a monthly fee) and it's running 11.5 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up with the computer hard wired to the modem. My wireless speed is about 10 Mbps down on the laptop.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

I have Uverse 3 pro internet with uverse ip phone. Local tech/install I can honestly rate excellent. Have had to contact tech support one time for an outage during a nasty thunderstorm. No phone service so I had to use my cellphone. Uverse tech support was very good and reset the connection which restored service. You didn't ask about billing so I won't go into rant and rave mode on this but I will say "Get it in writing!!!". NVG510 can be "bridged" according to this link:

"NVG510 bridge mode" in a Duck or Google search brings more references.

Reply to
Mr.E

Not buying it. After a mile of 24ga wire, a few tens of feet of 26ga isn't going to matter a whit. You had something else wrong that replacing the wire solved (or it was a good placebo).

Reply to
krw

Same thing.

Some. The provider can't "throttle" physics.

Well, that's a few hundred megabytes, now, isn't it? ;-)

Sure, but it's all ADSL.

Reply to
krw

Well it was no placebo. I'd measured my speed a dozen times on a website that does that before I changed the wire; and I measure it a dozen times after I changed the wire, and it was consistent before and consistent afterwards.

As to why it changed, transmission of computer data is more complicated than analog sound or power to run a light bulb. I added sci.electronics.repair and maybe we'll find someone there who knows more than we do.

I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that specializes in this sort of thing.

Reply to
micky

Isn't Verizon FTTH?

Reply to
dave

I have Verizon DSL, and no fibers.

Reply to
micky

Maybe.

After a mile of (really) crappy 24ga. wire, not so much.

What sort of stuff? Electronics?

Reply to
krw

No maybe. Do you think I can't read a number off the screen?

Yes, much. And there's more to the story.

I had bought special THIN phone wire with modular ends, so it would go through a narrow space. After I installed that, I could still listen to webradio but I couldn't download webpages. So I went back to the wire I had been using (typical wire, not especially thin, from the wall to the phone, with modular ends.) and everything worked again.

So then I though, maybe even this wire is too thin, and I changed to the round white wire with 4 wires inside, thicker, each wire is stiffer. It didnt' have modular plugs so I had to put a modular wall jack on each end, and plug a short modular cord in each end, and when connected, that's when the download speed tripled.

Reply to
micky

A lot of those drugstore phone wires only have red and green.

Reply to
dave

En el artículo , micky escribió:

That's entirely possible. You changed untwisted wire for twisted pair wire. Twisted pair cancels out interference, so I can well believe you saw an increase in your DSL sync speed.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In your case, that's 1000x too fast.

Reply to
krw

I have no idea what you're reading or what else is going on. In short, yes.

No f'n way. Unless physics is different on your planet. What color is your sky?

You have something else wrong. A few tens of feet of wire isn't going to do it.

You probably had noise on the line. Perhaps the ends were rectifying a radio station, dunno, but it was *NOT* caused by thin wire.

Disintrest in knowledge noted.

Reply to
krw

Nope. After a mile of crappy phone company, ten feet of more crap isn't going to matter.

Reply to
krw

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz escribió:

Clueless. Killfiled.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Sure it is. Do you understand what twisted-pair is? And why it's necessary?

The "mile of crappy phone company" wire is twisted pair for a reason. I'd suggest you learn something about RF signal propagation, which is what we're discussing for DSL.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters

You're wrong, but you don't care about the facts.

Reply to
krw

Yes, I do, actually. I've been a practicing hardware design engineer for 40 years. I design this stuff.

Except when it isn't. It really is crappy. Hell, RF (DSLish) can be transmitted over, even crappier, power lines.

Really, the last ten feet doesn't matter when the first five thousand isn't ideal. ...and it isn't, by a *long* shot.

I suggest you learn something. Period.

Reply to
krw

Some of the things that effect DSL performance in addition to line length are the wire gauge, any wire gauge changes along the way and any bridge taps. When you switched to that new wire, you didn't also get rid of a bridge tap that went to another unused location in the house, did you? Any of those things can effect performance, but it's one hell of an increase and I would agree with krw that it's hard to imagine just changing that 50 ft of wire made all that difference. DSL was designed to work on typical phone wire and there can be several miles of it between your DSL modem and the CO or equivalent. If there was a poor connection, a partial short, a bridge tap that's picking up noise or connected to who knows what, and any of that got fixed at the same time, I could more easily see that making such a big difference.

Reply to
trader4

switching to AT&T DSL and was wondering how well they respond to line prob lems. -- Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers a nd having to visit 10 different news stands to pickup each one. Email list- server groups and USENET are like having all of those newspapers delivered to your door every morning.

But a bridge tap, that is open at the far end, will look like a short-circu it somewhere back toward its junction with the main line. The length of br idged line that will look like a short-circuit at the bridge tap depends on the electrical characteristics of the bridging wire and the frequencyof th e signals. But if the overall circuit is close to being marginal, the extr a 50 feet of wire bridged onto the main wire may very well be just enough o f an impedance discontinuity to render the DSL ineffective. When we conver ted to DSL, I made sure that the line/wire from the telco point of presence to where the DSL signal was filtered/split off from the main telephone lin e was a straight shot, no splices or any dicontinuities. Once past the DSL filter, the phone line goes to several locations in both star and mesh con figurations.

Reply to
hrhofmann