AT&T DSL

The whole point of DSL was that it was designed to work over the existing installed based of far from perfect phone wiring that exists not only from the phone company to the premise, but within the premise. That would allow digital service to be delivered without the huge cost of a new infrastructure or modifying the existing one. The total length of wire can be as much as 3 miles, from the phone company CO or other eqpt, through the house wiring, to the DSL modem. All of that is just plain old phone wire. What kind of data rate you can get does depend on the gauge of the wire, the number of gauge changes along the way, any bridge taps, etc. On a short line without the above imperfections, you get the highest rate. On the longest line, with many imperfections you get a lower rate, or in some cases it may not work at all.

But like KRW, I'm having a hard time trying to see how changing out the last 50 ft of traditional phone wire and replacing it with something else, suddenly results in a 3X speed improvement. If the line length went from 3 miles to 1/2 mile, I could see it. If several bridge taps or loading coils were removed, I could see it. I'm wondering if the real problem was not something loose, eg a poor connection at the ends where the 50 ft cable was being changed out, and maybe the new cable made good contact where the other one did not. It would seem to me that if DSL were that sensitive to a piece of regular 50ft phone wire, the whole thing would not work, almost everyone would be having all kinds of problems, and they could never roll it out. IMO something unusual, whatever it is, was happening here.

Reply to
trader4

While that's true, it forgets (at least) two thing. For realistic taps, the resonant frequency is far above what DSL uses (or what the phone line is capable of). The other assumption is that there is no learning between the modems. The modems are capable of negotiating baud rates and symbol depths to avoid network anomalies (sometimes down shifting because of crappy networks - i.e. you don't get advertised bandwidth).

Bullshit. DSL isn't go/no-go. It isn't that dumb.

That's a good thing to do, but it doesn't matter much. Most homes now have telephone "stared" from a media closet to each room. DSL modems tend to be put next to the computer. It works.

Every new house is wired this way. It doesn't matter.

Reply to
krw

See, you just listed a possibility that could make it triple speed. Yes,it is hard to believe but we did not see the old wire and connections.

I recently had problems on my DSL line the ATT lineman made a few changes, including the line to the house. I guess you could say my speed increase 5000x since it was 0 before the repairs.

Broadbandreports.com test 5011 Kbs down, 641 up. Best I ever got.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Loading coils? Bad connections? Sure, they can cause all sorts of problems. Bridge taps? Tens of feet long? Not going to happen. The issue is certainly *NOT* the wire gauge or twisted pair vs. untwisted phone wire.

That something was faulty; believable. That it was the wire gauge - not credible.

Well... What's the wire gauge of an open?

Reply to
krw

Bridge taps most certainly do effect the transmission on DSL lines. They were one of the design concerns well known from the beginning when the Telcos first started to work on developing DSL. A line without bridge taps is best. The more bridge taps, the more difficult it becomes to transmit and transmission rate typically decreases.

The

As I said, I agree that just changing that one short piece of wire, I don't see how it accounts for a 3x performance difference. But wire gauge does effect performance and wire *gauge changes* also effect performance. Let's say you had two DSL lines, both a mile long, both have a half mile of 22 gauge, half a mile of 26 gauge using same wire. But one line has an entire continuous half mile of the 22 gauge, followed by a continuous half mile of 26. The other keeps changing gauge back and forth at various intervals for a total of 20 gauge changes The latter line will have a lower DSL speed capability than the first line, because instead of

1 gauge change, it has 20 gauge changes along the way.

So, his gauge change could effect the performance, I just can't see how it could effect it by a factor of 3X.

Reply to
trader4

Not tens of feet long. Until a significant fraction of a wavelength they're not an issue.

The issue was interior wiring.

Not the interior wiring.

Reply to
krw