Are these the same or is more expensive better?

Spring is here and it's time to work on the scooter I think I posted about last fall. This is a TaoTao 49/50cc scooer made in the People's Republic of China.

The carburetor needs a cleaning, or I can buy a new one. Matching ones range from $18 to a little over $50. URLs available if wanted. Do you think there is a positive correlation between price and quality? A negative one? Any one? Or are they all really the same thing? I once saw a particular model of camera for sale online for between 50 and 200 dollars, very same thing.

If a difference in quality, where would low quality show itself?

The only difference apparent from the photos is that the diaphragm cover on mine and some is metal and the one on others is black, maybe metal, maybe plastic, but it's not a part that gets hot. Even plastic should be fine.

The $22 one has the most pictures and is certain identical to mine, but it's in China and delivery is claimed to take 4 to 6 weeks The others have from 4 to 1 pictures andI can't find any differences, but they are in Chicago or South Carolina and will be here in 3 or 4 days. What are the chances any of them won't work just as well.

Reply to
Micky

what kind of a scooter??????

Reply to
hrhofmann

A TaoTao 50cc 4-cycle scooter, probably model ATM50-A1**

All of the 50's are really 49cc, so that they can fall under more lenient laws, that seem common in many, many US states, but they can still be licensed to ride on the street. They go up to 35 mph iirc, depending on how much the driver weighs.

Here are some of the carburetors for sale. When I fear the others won't match, I think they'll still screw in place, but maybe the opening to the intake manifold will be a different diameter, or other ports will be different. All of these are rated 4 stars or more.

It's the 50 dollar one I wonder about especially and the difference if any between that black cover and the metal cover:

This is only 18 and in the US:

The one is in China but I'm certain it matches, because it has so many pictures that match:

This one is $51 and in the US, KEIHIN brand?:

This is $22 + 4 shipping, in the US and claim "jet upgrades Scooter Moped ATV" Upgraded jets for better starting, idling and performance.

85 main, 32 pilot jet. Additional 90 main jet included separately if you find that you need more fuel:
$24 and in the US, "with Jet Upgrades":
This is $26, in the US, says works up to 80cc and on mopeds, sold by GOOFIT:

There was one other in China but I don't see it now, but if I were going to buy from China with the long delay, I'd buy the one listed.

Reply to
Micky

Go with Goof It. A Keihin would probably work better than anything else on a PRC scooter.

Reply to
rbowman

Generally when you arer talking parts for Chinese equipment - or buying from chinese sources or importers, you are buying the same stuff at different prices depending on the business model of the seller. Some buy in huge volumes at low cost and sell at low margines.

I can buy an item from one of those sellers for $0.18 US including shipping from Hong Kong.

I can buy the exact same part from an importer in Texas or California for $7 plus $18 shipping and handling.. The EXACT same part. Absolutely no difference in quality except POSSIBLY the importer has inspected the item to ascertain it is what the manufacturer in China said it is, and that it is all there and fully assembled. In an extreme case it may even have been tested to determine it is in functional condition.

So I buy 3 for $0.56. If one is no good I still have another spare - -

-
Reply to
clare

Center posted, as your reply is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's pretty much what I thought. I think even the ones with only 1 or 2 photos fit the same as the one with 8 photos.

BTW, I wanted to borrow a second big charger to crank the engine off of two in parallel (if I could have??) but a friend lent me instead a battery from a riding mower he was getting rid of. After draining the gas tank and the hose and the valve, I used that last fall to get it running for as much as 40 seconds, but only when I sprayed starter fluid, and even with continued spraying the engine would still stop.

I thought I could keep doing this and flush out the carb, but I didn't see any changes. For $22 I'll get a new carb and maybe clean the other some day.

The battery enabled me to check all the lights, etc and eveything works. Then a couple weeks ago my friend decided he needed the lawnmower to pull his new chipper, so I gave the battery back. A new one is coming Monday for $24.

(They actuallhy sold reconditioned versions of that camera for 200 (as well as 50) while new it was still sold for 100!!)

Reply to
Micky

Be carefull about using ether on 2 strokes. No oil in the fuel m,eans no lubrication to the engine.

Reply to
clare

Three times I read that as either, even though I call it ether too. And I'm wondering, either what or what? Okay, no ether on 2-stroke. Thanks There are all 4-stroke, I think. Mine is.

(Only called it starting fluid to avoid possible pedants here. )

Reply to
Micky

Almost by accident I learned another factor. There's a scooter webforum that I'd forgotten about. But I went there and searched on carbur and read a couple posts. One said "I have a Keihin clone 18mm. I just upgraded to a 20mm. This shoud fit if you have a 139QMB 50cc engine." And I thought, Huh. I thought my intake was 40mm and output was 28.

So I asked, and they are talking about the carburetor throat, and I was referred to a thread from 13 months ago. It seems even in this cheap market, there are both 18 and 20mm carbs, though maybe the 20mm are not so cheap. (Where 18 and 20 are the inside diameter and 28 is the outside diam, around which the intake manifold is attached.)

Because they were talking about a lot of fake 20's, where they take an

18 and mill it 2mm bigger, but only at the exit, the last inch or so, but the butterfly is still 18, so it doesn't improve performance at all.

So I went back and looked at 5 of the 6 models I listed earlier, and three say they are 18 (two in their title and one in a measurement shown in red in a picture) and two don't say. None claim to be 20. Of the two that don't say, one says it's a model PD18J and the second is a PD18. The 18 might mean 18mm, or not, and the J-suffix probably means some little difference there.

The one I wanted with the most pictures says it's 18, and based on the picture, it has not been milled bigger. Another one has a plastic protective cap on the hole so you can't see, another one has so much reflection it's hard to tell, and the PD18 and 18J actually do look like they were milled bigger, but since they don't claim to be 20, so what. Maybe they used to claim that and got rebuked. One or 2 posters in the forum said they had complained to Ebay and Ebay refunded his money and shipping charge and didn't make him ship back the modified one. Maybe they punished the vendor....

That might account for these two models but I googled GY6 carburetor 20mm and there are about 6 of them, two on Amazon. Some prices in the $30's. I don't know why I didn't come across any of them before. The very first one didn't look like it was milled, but if they're cheats, they could be using an unmodified picture. (The thread listed some good vendors and bad, but I can't remember things like that. It doesn't matter, I'm not actually buying one.)

I've only been looking for fun, I'm sticking with 18, but this post is interesting "50s use a 18mm why a 20?? it is not going to do anything more than an 18mm jetted right. You people think slapping a bigger carb is going to give you something but unless you build the motor up quite a bit a bigger carb is not needed and will not give you anything but waste gas on you and make it harder to tune to get the motor to run right at all throttle positions. Alleyoop Read more:

" I suspect he's right.

Another guy claimed you could turn an 18 into a 20 with a Dremel tool!!!!

Another guy mentions 2 stroke motors, so i was wrong about that. Sorry.

Hmm. Those 20mm seem to come with "40mm Air Box Manifold. 20mm Intake Manifold."

But another carb in my original list said 38 input and I think that's what I have (not 40). And for the output, one in my original list said 18, but on mine it was hard to measure, hard to see. I guess I will take it apart before I buy the carb. In fact they wouldn't put the measurements in bright red if they were all the same.

Reply to
Micky

Pretty slick idea to add lubrication to ether!

Jackson

...snip...

...snip...

Do you continually act like an idiot because you are one or because you need the attention? Is it low self-esteem that causes you to continually embarrass yourself in public?

My brother is a minister at his church. He often counsels the members and helps them decide if professional help is needed so that they can deal with the issues in their lives. I assume your church offers the same service. Please seek help.

You have a lot to offer this community but you degrade your contributions by constantly posting in a manner that destroys your creditably.

Do it for yourself, not for us, but please do it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hey, if you don't want center posted replies....

don't center post. It's that simple.

You're the one who needs help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Come on Stormy, get with the program. This has all been explained to you before but for some reason you choose to ignore the explanation.

Please review the material that follows and explain to us what part you don't understand/don't agree with. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and the chance to explain why you think your latest posting style is appropriate. Please ensure that your response is intelligently written and relevant to the following points.

Let's take a look at the phrase you have been using recently:

"Center posted, as your reply is"

Let's break that down into 2 parts, both of which are incorrect.

"Center posted..."

There is no such posting style as "Center posted". The closest posting style to what you incorrectly call "centered posted" is known as "interleaved posting" or more commonly, "an inline reply".

Please refer the explanations and examples given here:

Inline posting is an accepted method of posting in email and many usenet groups (including a.h.r). It is not "center posting". Think about it: Is the reply in the "center" of the post? The center of the screen? The center of the page? The center of *anything* (except when *you* split a word)?

The answer is "No" and that is why it is not referred to as "center posting" - except by you.

"...as your reply is."

You keep using these words and yet no one - absolutely no one - splits a word in the middle and places [] around the response. No one - except you. It is 100% inaccurate to use the words "as your reply was" when that person did not do what you are claiming they did.

It is explained quite simply at the wiki page I referenced above:

"inline replying, in which the different parts of the reply follow the relevant parts of the original post"

Note the words "follow the relevant parts of the original post".

"Follow" does not mean split a word in the middle like you do. There is nothing relevant about "I can buy the exact same part fr" which where you inserted your bracketed response.

Please provide a reference that shows that inserting a reply in the middle of a word is an accepted manner of replying.

Stormy, feel free to continue use your method of replying - maybe you're a pioneer and it will catch on - but please refrain from ending your post with "..as your reply is" because that is 100% wrong.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Harley's use a 40mm; be a little overkill on your scooter.

Reply to
rbowman

DD , he's just seeking attention . Plonk his sorry ass and be done with him . If it weren't for y'all responding to him I'd never see his crap posts .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Anyhow, it sure seems to get you worked up when I center post, as you do. Of course, if you were to bottom post (or top post), then this would not be an issue.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Center posting is when a person puts ONE section of new text in the CENTER of quoted text.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had no actual believe that you would respond intelligently and relevantly, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. It's not a matter of "getting worked up", it's a sincere, heartfelt attempt to get you to stop embarrassing yourself.

I see that my attempt has failed yet again.

Please seek the help that I suggested in an earlier post.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is called inline posting. It's common practice to respond within quoted text like that so comments are relevant and more conversational in nature.

Center posting is when your text is aligned center on the page from left to right.

Reply to
Muggles