Anyone with Garage Tiles? (RaceDeck)?

I am considering getting these for my garage: racedeck.com.

I was wondering if anyone has them, or something similar in their garage.

Reply to
cmay

Not myself (they're _way_ expensive in my estimation) but there was an overview/review of several in FineWoodworking's annual "Shops & Tools" issue a couple of years ago -- I just happened to pick that issue out of a pile the other day and noticed it...

Reply to
dpb

I have something similar in my basement workshop (concrete slab), from Sam's Club ->

These tiles are a lot cheaper.

In retrospect, I think I would have preferred something more rubbery, e.g.

(these come in different colors as well). The tiles I have now are basically tough plastic, it sounds a little hollow when you walk on them. Other than that, they are very durable, and easy to clean.

Did I mention they are a lot cheaper?

Installation is very simple, it goes down in no time. Like ceramic tile, you'll have to make cuts around walls and corners (probably not a problem in a garage), but standard woodworking tools (table saw, circle saw and/ or jig saw) are sufficient.

Reply to
Bas

One of the products reviewed in the FWW "Shops" volume article I mentioned before was a wood underlayment product w/ a waterproof layer designed as a subflooring for below grade application. Seems like one of the Big Box Stores was distributor for it. As I recall, it was the cheapest by far of the products reviewed and the author liked it for a couple of reasons, one being it had by far the highest thermal insulating properties of any of the products tested and was thicker besides. None of the products were rated as of much benefit for cushioning iirc.

I guess I'd mention what I use in the shop are cushion mats from the ag supply dealerships designed for cattle/dairy/horse barn use. They're cheap (if not available in designer colors :) ), durable, and are nearly as comfortable as some of the high-priced cushion mats I've used/seen in other shops. They're available as either solid or w/ perforations.

Reply to
dpb

I ended up ordering from Racedeck I will try to remember to post on my experience with the tiles.

They cost $3 / sq ft.

Reply to
cmay

I just did my 2 car garage in tiles as an alternative to replacing the pitted concrete. It turned out great. I checked around for the best deal, and settled on some from Sam's Club online. The tiles come from a company that private labels them for Sam's at a much better price. I think their name is Floor Junkies.... they have a web site. The only thing to consider is if the sun will be shining directly on the tiles. For about 3 hours a day, when the garage door is opened, the sun hits the first 3 rows of tile, and they buckle and heave up in a wavy pattern. You may want to consider a lighter colored tile in this area to minimize the effect. Other than that, I think you will like the results. I did my floor for about $850. Hope this helps.

Reply to
bblume