Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

I've seen LED replacments for tail lights. Any good? Dunno. Would be nice to see fairly priced LED replace for household bulbs. I've not seen them yet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Interesting point on the graph is how much better linear fluorescent can be than CF... also that metal halide basically starts where LED leaves off.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Haven't looked into home LED home lighting yet, but the basic problem with car taillights is that the fixture is designed for a point source and the "replacements" are anything but. An LED taillight assembly (as you can see on many cars and trucks today), designed for LEDs, works great.

Unfortunately, the "replacements" are bought by idiots looking for a kewl effect, who have no idea that they might as well just leave the wiring harness unplugged for all the good their taillights do them -- frequently the other end of the car has headlights with blue glass ('cause blue is brighter) hidden behind a smoked glass shield.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

One of my roommates has a form of Porphyria and instead of a tan he gets lesions on his exposed skin and it makes him very sick.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If you're trying for energy savings, you're going the wrong way as LEDs produce lower lumens per Watt than CFLs currently. The only way you get energy savings with LEDs over CFLs currently is if you do exclusively task lighting where the directionality of LEDs can let you use a lower Wattage LED lamp than CFL. LEDs are certainly improving over time so eventually they may pass CFLs for efficiency, but they don't currently. The current LED lamps also suffer from color temperature inconsistencies which are problematic if you have more than one LED lamp in a room.

Reply to
Pete C.

LEDs are considerably more efficient than ordinary incandescents, but they are still less efficient than CFLs. Many of the fixtures you'd be using on a boat benefit from the directionality of LEDs, which is another reason they perform better.

Reply to
Pete C.

The brake light on my M109R consists of an array of *very* bright LEDs. I added a flasher module to make it even more noticeable. In SW Florida you need all the protection you can get, especially during snow-bird season. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Not saying that CFL's aren't a good thing. But press releases full of SWAG numbers like that irritate me. Way too many uncontrolled variables for them to come up with a hard number. How many hours a day is this 'one bulb per house' supposed to be on and what wattage? What type of cars are those 80,000 cars, and how many hours a day are they lit up, and at what speeds? And so on and so on...

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Reply to
Josepi

Apparently you don't understand the scale used for illumination by your silly comment used to attempt to disguise it. I will assume the rest is bullshit then too, for now.

Reply to
Josepi

It wasn't actually a press release, but that's not important.

I don't know but if I were to guess, I'd suppose the figures are based on "average" usage -- something that could be calculated by surveying a fair number of homes.

That kind of information is always being sought by various surveys. If you ask enough people what they drive, how many hours a week, etc., you can get a fairly good picture of what the "average" driver does. That the report gave a figure is nothing surprising. One could question the manner of surveys used if the methods are known. Short of that, the best thing you can do is try to determine whether the poll takers have an axe to grind. That's one reason I challenge comments from Bobby Green and Dave Houston. Both are always "on a mission" and neither seems above bending the facts to fit what they've already decided. That isn't meant to imply that both are dishonest. Bobby has an opinion and he sees as "facts" whatever ideas he comes up with in support of his ideas. Houston is much worse -- he flat out lies.

OK, that's my quota of nastiness for this week. Time to be nice... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Did someone use that expression in this thread? If so I didn't notice.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There's a lot of that going around these days. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

A lot of new cars already come equipped with LED tail Lights. They are very bright, and if one LED fails, you still have a lot of light. The only thing I don't like about them on my car is that there is no warmth generated to de-ice the lenses in winter. Tail light lenses are plastic, so there is a limit to how much you can do to clear them with an ice scraper without scratching them.

Reply to
salty

Tell that to my 360 degree LED anchor light at the top of the mast which is brighter and can be seen farther than the incandescent it replaced, and uses 1/10th the power.

All nav lights have to cover specified arcs of visibility. The directional nature of LED's is actually a disadvantage for boats that had to be overcome, which is done by using arrays of smaller LED's

They now have LED's that produce as much as 200 lumens per watt.

Compare that to a CFL. :-)

Reply to
salty

salty

For sure, good lighting is essential. What's the bag limit on snow birds, or are they a nussiance creature, and you're encourged to shoot all you want?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Right, my original comment was referring to retrofitting LEDs in an older vehicle. Nothing good seems to be available there, at least not in a plug and play (or nearly so) solution.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not in this thread but many of the "energy saving" advertisements used in the media use this expression

"Saving Watts"

It clearly demonstrates ignorance of power and energy and belittles the whole intent of any programme using it.

Reply to
Josepi

Point well made and exemplified by your post implicating Dave Houston. It can be clearly shown from history, here, that a hidden agenda may be lurking in your demonstration.

pot, kettle? LOL

Reply to
Josepi