Anyone know a lot about fixing up old Wedgewood stoves?

I've been "tasked" with seeing if it's possible to retrofit an old Wedgewood stove; specifically, to upgrade it so that the oven has a gas safety shutoff valve (it doesn't now, just turn it on and light it), and possibly to convert it to electronic ignition (to eliminate pilot lights). It's the "old" style of stove, meaning it's on legs.

Does anyone here know enough about these old stoves *specifically* to advise whether either of these things is possible? A local old-stove artisan said he could do the oven safety valve conversion, but that it would cost $350 (too much) and that I couldn't do it myself even if I could find the parts.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, it's possible to convert it to a gas safty valve. Electronic ignition is less feasible. However, the parts will cost at least $200 if you can buy them yourself. That $350 price isn't bad. Keep in mind that some of these ranges in good restored condition with the safety added can be worth a couple of thousand to those folks into retro kitchens. There is a growing market for antique ranges.

Do a Google search for antique stove parts.

One supplier that I've dealt with was Repco Replacement Parts Inc of Everman,Tx. However, they are unlikely to be willing to tell you how to do it or what parts to buy. They did have a website but it doesn't seem to be operational.

If you haven't done work with gas pilot safety valves and/or gas appliances in general , I wouldn't recommend it as a do-it-yourself project.

Doug

Reply to
Doug