Any tricks for getting "contractor" discount on supplies

Your right it's not just Contracting it a lot of buenesess large and small. This is my faovrite line " you have my money wehere is my service?" I came up with that after buying window from Home Crapo

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I guess Yer just not in the mood to be agreed(or joked) with so I'm gonna go slap some mud on the wall and have a GOOD day instead..LOL. Do genetics affect spelling?I am about 1/2 German..*grin* Dean

Reply to
Dean

Well, I was just razzing you, because you noticed that the other guy repeated repeated repeated himSelf 3 times. :-) Now, I'm going cross country skiing and pretending I like it because the GF won't stop nagging me unless I go.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I agree with most here who believe you are evil. You want something for nothing.

Also, you are way too quick to condemn everyone but you to minimum wage for life.

I will pray for you.

Reply to
DK

...snip rambling diatribe...

Regarding the subject question the "trick" is to be a contractor.

Reply to
dpb

LOL,,ok,,I like it here again..Whoever said "this group rocks" hit it right on the money..

Reply to
Dean

Just go to the county office building & file a d/b/a "Nathan's Construction".

There. Now you are a contractor. Go to Lowes & get the 50% off.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

HAHAHA successful trolling!

Actually, In all due respect, you guys are probably the good guys and if all the contractors were like you, the world would be a better place. You guys are volunteering your time to help DIYers like myself out. I applaud that and wish you all the best.

But in my defense, I have had bad luck with contractors...a lot of people have, thats why there are stories on the news telling people to always verify contractors and check their past work. I know it isn't just contractors, it seems like most people are pretty scummy. Very few people actually do live up to their word. I always try to be honest and straight forward, maybe I have a big sign on my head that says young rich yuppie that makes people want to take advantage of me. I do my honest work and live reasonably. I can only afford to take a vacation once every few years or so, so I am no rich boy.

As an example, I have had a couple of gardeners. I was willing and happy to pay the money, but they always slacked off and never finished what they agreed to. If thats the case, I am willing to save the money and do it myself. I know the job is done better and I get some exercise.

More of a direct example for you guys. I called 8 contractors to get estimates to replace the tub. 1 said that he was too busy and couldn't handle it. I RESPECT that and would probably give the guy a call in the future if I find something beyond my capabilities. 5 of them said they would be there...I took time off work and they never showed up. My time is money too. I will NEVER call those guys again. One guy made it a point to say that his time was money and to make sure that I was there. He even called the day before to check and the day of the appointment. When I give my word, I will be there, so I didn't like his constant nagging. Granted he probably had the reverse of my experience. Two others came as agreed but several hours late. Only one guy felt decent, but he was also the highest bid. Maybe $5k is about right to replace a tub, but it seems alfully high when the 3-piece tub only cost $300 at HD. A day to demo and a day or two to put things back. When he provided an itemized pricing and I saw $500 for the permit and a week to demo, I knew he was lying somewhere and I decided against him.

I decided it was worth it do do the job myself. In the process I learned a heck of a lot more about electrical work and tiling and plumbing. By the way I was able to demo the tub in a few hours, so 1 week is a gross over-exageration. I also upgraded to a jacuzzi tub and added a sub-panel in the garage, all for about $2k. Would I do it again...I don't know If I know that I could have a contractor do the job as well as I did, I would probably pay the $5k. If I expect to see the same garbage workmanship that I have seen from the home builders, I certainly would not. How do you know who is going to do the good quality work?

Reply to
Nathan

An analogous news headline recently -- at an industry convention, auto sales people agreed one of their biggest problems is that customers aren't truthful with them. I must say I was shocked, just shocked, to read that.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

If I don't like the sound of a potential customer on the phone I don't call them back or I tell them I am too busy. If I go to their home to bid a job and decide I don't like them I either give them a very high estimate or never call them back.

I don't know of any business in Arizona giving a 50% discount on materials. The highest I get is 10% but typically only 5%. Most likely I could get it even cheaper someplace else but I buy there out of convenience or loyalty. We currently bill our customers $50.00 an hour and I am lucky to make $40,000 per year by the time I pay my overhead. There are rarely 8 billable hours per day, I don't get paid sick leave or vacation, in 18 years I have never been stiffed on an invoice. I have walked off a job without charging a dime because the customer was a PIA or their house was gross.

I may be totally wrong on this but by reading your post I would not likely work for you. But then we also might be best buddies????

Good luck,

cm

Reply to
CM

What do you do for a living? It must be something embarrassing. I've asked twice and you refuse to answer. Are you on permanent disability because you got scared by a hornet when you were 8 years old?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually I am an engineer...you know the anal retentive type that likes to over-engineer things to make future enhancements easier. Didn't I say that I was an engineer in the original post? I was tired and a bit grumpy when I wrote that first post.

I get a bit ticked off whenever I have to fix anything in the house, it seems like the builder cut every corner imaginable...I am surprised the house passed inspections. I'll wager the building inspector was getting his palm greased by the builder to look the other way. I have to change out much more then I should to be able to fix/upgrade anything. Houses should be built to be easily maintained in the future. I mapped out a schematic of the house and all the electrical circuits...1/3 of the house is on one circuit. There is no room to add any extra outlets and still be safe. Every room should be on an individual circuit. One room can have 3 different circuits in it...that is very bad engineering.

gees, just assume the worst because someone has a bad perspective and a stereotype of a group of people...HAHAHA

Reply to
Nathan

OK. An engineer. If you make more than $24,538.92 per year, I think your profit margin is too high. I know it's an arbitrary number, but what the hell? This whole thread's about arbitrary numbers, right?

RIGHT?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

AH HAH! There it is. The answer to your question! You suppose you had a hard time getting someone because you already knew how to do it better?

Is this a new home in a subdivsion? A tract home perhaps? Sorry your posts were too long winded. It was obvious you had an atttude from the beginning.

I am surprised the

There you go! Become builder/contractor. With your enginerring skills, background & knowlege you could make a fortune.

Reply to
Hugh Glass

Then, if you're so smart, what in the world are you doing working for a living? Seems someone as smart as you would already have things figured out, and have the world working for HIM.

No?

sigh ........................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sorry Steve, You need money to make money. I will likely be retired by 30 and living off the stock market.

Reply to
Nathan

The reason that I had an attitude from the beginning was that I read posts from contractors that seemed to have big chips on their shoulders.

What kind of loser is going to say something like they will never shop at a store that gives their contractor discount to regular customers. What do you care about how a company decides to do business. Perhaps those losers like to be subsidized by the customer.

Why do some c>

Reply to
Nathan

You just explained plenty. You're too young to have much perspective on anything at all.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Joe,

I never said that you guys should be living in the poorhouse. But I know most contractors have good times and bad times, there is never a steady flow of work. I have had to hire people to fix things before. I once paid some plumber $1000 for a job that he finished in a hour and only paid $50 for parts. That gives him a wage of $950 an hour. Add in his time to drive there and the next job, that still puts his wage at $500 an hour. One job like that a week and that guy is set.

Reply to
Nathan

Translation: You hired the wrong guy. And by the way, I'm not a contractor. Some restaurants squirt a cute border of sauce around a plate and charge $28 for the entree. Others charge $14.95 for the exact same dish, without the squiggle and the waiters pretending they're from Paris. You don't whine about the expensive restaurant because you picked it out.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom