Any suggestions for a cheap pool vacuum run on water?

I need a temporary pool vacuum for the rest of the summer in a place that I am renting which didn't come with a pool vac.

It's my responsibility to keep the pool clean so I have been hand vacuuming with the garden hose type for a while but it sucks.

I'm thinking of just buying a used pump, and then putting a long hose on it (the pool has the 1.5 inch hoses for something like fifty feet just sitting there empty).

So, what I need is two things: a. Where to get a cheap used pump (craigslist?) b. What kind of cheap vacuum to get?

I'm also thinking of just putting a $30 vacuum head and doing it manually, but I still would need a pump.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Daniel Webster

You're going to clear your modifications with the landlord, right? I doubt many landlords are going to want a tennet screwing with their pool eqpt, 240V electric, etc.

Not clear what that means. Is it the type that has like a 1.5" hose, a long wand on one end, a plate that goes over one of the skimmers on the other?

If you're talking about an automatic water powered pool cleaner, eg Polaris, they aren't cheap. The polaris eqpt, ie the cleaner and the pump goes for $750. You can probably find a used one, but you know how that works. And you're going to hack into the pool eqot system to install it, power it? Get an electric permit too?

A better choice would be one of the robot ones that is not water powered, uses an AC cord instead. But they aren't cheap either. Maybe you can find a used one on Ebay.

An even better choice would probably be to just hire a pool service for the summer.

It's not clear what you have and what you want to do.

Reply to
trader_4

Normally you plug the hose into a the suction port of the skimmer or the regular pool pump if they have a separate port for the vacuum. You don't use a separate pump. The debris is sucked into the pool pump filter basket or into the filter for small stuff.

If you had a pump connected to the vacuum head where would you connect the other end of the hose to?

You also need a pole for the vacuum head.

I would look on craigslist for this. Often you can find people demolishing a pool that are selling equipment. I bought a pool slide and a robotic cleaner on craigslist.

Your other option is to buy a used robotic cleaner on craigslist then sell it afterward. I.e. . You could probably sell it for as much as you paid for it.

Avoid the Polaris cleaners that use a booster pump. First of all you need a booster pump, and second they don't do a good job.

Reply to
sms