Any shops sell blind cord?

Anyone know of a shopping chain that sells blind cord, for example to extend a blind's string pull? I can see it on the web for $2 a roll plus $7 shipping, which just annoys me too much!

Must be a braded thin white cord.

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Try a local blind repair shop.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I got some years ago from the local hardware store.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

A fabric or draper store would have it....JoAnn Fabrics, Hancock, etc.

Reply to
Norminn

Maybe a fabric store. But you might go thru $7 of gas to buy it locally.

Reply to
Art

Any True Value hardware store, stock #190348:

9/64" x 48' Nylon Venetian Blind Cord, Multi Purpose, Braided, Nylon, Hank.
Reply to
Karl S

Joe and Harry's choices might be cheaper than Norminn's, but at 2 dollars a roll, anyplace will be fine. Fabric shops have this stuff because people buy fabric to make their own blinds.

I got a drapery rod somewhere, and the cord included with it was enormously long (partly so one could make the rod wider). I don't like to cut things off (especially in a case like this where lengthening the cord would require a knot that wouldn't go through the hole, and so might require replacing the whole cord later.

While I was thinking about where I could stuff the spare cord, it occurred to me, that since my bed is under the window, I could put a pulley where the cord would normally end, and run the excess cord all the way across the bottom of the window, to one of those spring-mounted pulleys they use for cords. Now I don't have to even sit up to open and close my drapes. I just lift my arm and there are the cords.

I check the home-made pulley every few years to see if it is is coming apart and wearing out the cord, but after 20 years so far so good.

Reply to
mm

Local is your best bet. It comes in 3 different diameters based on the shade and year it was made. The mid-sized is the most common. A fabric shop that sells drapery fabric may be your best bet.

If you can't find it local and you have a PayPal account I will sell you some for 50 cents per yard and first class postage. Unless you need a lot I imagine a buck or so will cover postage.

I also have the coupling balls that screw apart so that you can hide the knot. These are normally seen on a custom pleated shade. Will need to look up the price on those. They are not real cheap.

Email address works if you remove the blocker part.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You can also buy a second pulley and have a cord on each side of the window. You just have to adjust the under carrier to the center point.

Reply to
Colbyt