Any good books/online resources for learning basic electrical skills?

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone can recommend a good sites or books to learn some basic home/interior electrical skills and knowledge? I'm not expecting to become an electrician from it, but just so I'll at least be familiar with installing a new lightswitch or outlet?

I understand there are strict codes you must abide by and I don't planning on making my home some hazard ;) But it would be nice if I can put in a lightswitch for the basement, so I won't have to walk up to the light in the dark to pull the string turn the light on.

I did look at Home Depot's books, but just was wondering if there are better books out there, or better yet, something online?

Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

Reply to
Holy Schmoly

Putting in a "switch leg" for your light is easy - 1/2 hour project, at most.. Take a look at Border's, or one of the chain bookstores. I remember one of my kids getting a book from, I think, Sear, or Reader's Digest. Those books are fine. Bits and pieces are cheap enough from a place like Lowes or Home Depot.

Reply to
professorpaul

Amazon.com

search books for "residential wiring" residential house wiring" "basic wiring" "basic electrical wiring".... you get the picture

at amazon you can read reviews by others who have purchased the books...amazon also has table of contents for some books and some books also have sample pages...

Ive looked at the books at HD and Lowes and they seem pretty decent for the homeowner wanting to do a little wiring around the house.

Local library is also a very good overlooked source for information......

Reply to
cornytheclown

barbarow