Another Painting Question

I bought a lamp at a garage sale - great price, bad color. The lamp is ceramic, glossy finish. I would like to paint it another color using spray paint.

I have a nearly new can of Kiltz spray sealer, oil based, for use on drywall, wood, metal and other shiny finishes. It is for covering stains and stuff. Will that work as a base coat for what I want? I could spray it on and after it dries, spray with semi-gloss finish paint.

If that will not work - what should I look for. Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

spray shellac maybe? it sticks to most anything, and most anything else sprayed on it can stick.

if the object is too shiny, a quick hit with a sandblaster will give paint some tooth to stick to.

Reply to
charlie

Howdy,

The OP mentions "Kiltz" but I assume that is "Kilz."

If so, it is shellac...

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

maybe. some kilz is not shellac based. OP stated "Kiltz spray sealer, oil based". oil based pretty much leaves out shellac. the base for shellac is alcohol, which wouldn't play well with oil.

Reply to
charlie

Kilz has a variety of primers, some for glossy surfaces.

I have used it on Formica, but not real glossy surfaces. Primer on Formica for alky paint in a bathroom worked very well.....no peeling or chipping.

Reply to
Norminn

Hi again,

Of course you are right... I was assuming the original Kilz, and had not read the other details with care.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Dottie wrote in news:e763edc8-3237-4aa8-a0a4- snipped-for-privacy@d10g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

Need to think out of the box Dottie.

Suspect you are a savy garage sale scavenger:-) If the price was that great, sell it at your next garage sale for cost+a few bucks.

Reply to
Red Green

Clear penetrating epoxy sealer or low viscosity epoxy sealer will stick to just about anything. The only problem is in applying it, that is, finding a brush that won't disintegrate. After it dries, you can apply a sanding sealer, wet sand, tack off, then spray on an opaque color coat. A lot of labor. Is the lamp worth the effort?

Reply to
Abe M.

clean it with spray nine to clean it. try a new spraycan of killz, lots of varieties are made today with different properties. the sprayer head on your like new can may be clogged from previous use. or it may run. maybe goggles and mask and outdoors on drop cloth tarp on a windless day. allow sufficient drying time, see instructions on can.

Reply to
buffalobill