Another gyprock questiion.

Hello,

I have done gyprocking before and did do a wonderful job on my mothers basement back in 1981 or so... A few things I can't remember or maybe it wasn't invented back in the day.LOL .. My question is this...... Is there a difference between ceiling gyprock and wall gyprock? I am going to completely gyprock a bedroom (10X13) with 1/2 inch. Do I just buy the sheets for the entire area or do I have to seperate wall type from ceiling type? Reason why I ask this is my brother said one type has a green stripe and other has a red stripe incicating ceiling? Or is my brother bullsh*tting me? Thanks... Jim

While I have the floor....which to you do first?...ceiling or walls?

Reply to
Jim

Ceilings then the walls...Watch your corner nailing on the walls..If you do the wrong wall first you won't have much nailer in the corner for the other wall...HTH...

Reply to
benick

Ceiling first. They make some extra strength sheetrock for ceiling use. Attic insulation has gotten thicker and trusses are spaced 24". The extra strength is used to prevent sagging. Don't think it matters for your use. I used it in my house on the ceiling. Had to buy it from a sheetrock supplier. Here is a link to manufacturer install guides

Pat

I hung sheet rock during some time in the '70s. A mouth full of blue nails and a "hatchet". It taught me what hard work was about.

I will always do the ceiling first and use 5/8 board. Wall boards 1/2"

- butt the tapered edge at the ceiling.

Working down on the wall a second sheet. Use a toe kick tool to lift the final bottom cut piece.

A 12' 5/8 piece of rock won't break like a 1/2 sheet.

Reply to
Oren

God what's the fascination with with high strength or 5/8 on the ceiling...Ceilings ARE SUPPOSED TO BE STRAPPED...It holds the weight off the drywall all together and makes the ceiling MUCH stronger and flatter...It only takes a couple of hours and is cheap and makes insulating and hanging the drywall MUCH easier....

Reply to
benick