Another A/C question

Even though I haven't been around this group in a long time, I'm sure this is "another" A/C question. I was referred to a site that sells A/C products. They make great claims for something called R22. Among other things, they state that greater and easier compressibility means colder temps out of the house vents and less strain on the compressor. I'm thinking of using another of their products in my car A/C (and I do have recommendations from friends that have changed over), but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge of this material that isn't selling it.:) Oh, the site is

Thanks, guys, (and gals). I've learned an incredible amount of stuff from this group!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Landry

I think that stuff is butane/propane. They have a replacement for R12 that is. A lot of people have said not to use it in cars, I have it in my old Suburban and it seems to work fine. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

I think that stuff is butane/propane. They have a replacement for R12 that is. A lot of people have said not to use it in cars, I have it in my old Suburban and it seems to work fine. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

This is Turtle.

The R-22-A is for home hvac systems and R-12-A is for auto's.

This auto stuff is Freeze-12 and you can buy it at any appliance warehouse or store. Public can buy it for it is nothing but dehydrated propane or Butane. I think Auto zone still sells it and it's called freeze-12-A .

I have used in some cars but only ones with Real R-12 in them because thec134-A type systems really don't get any better with it in there for the 134-a in them for they have the bigger coil to make up for it. I really don't think it helped very much on the 134-A systems but on the older R-12 systems it did make a difference verses the 134-A replacement in it.

Now the prices for Freeze-12 is a little high on their website compared to auto zone.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I'm rather suspicious of this.

1) When I took my EPA cert in 1994, we were told that it's illegal to mix refrigerants. 2) Selling refrigerants without a license? 3) It says that one pound of their stuff equals 2.5 pounds of R-22. I very highly doubt that.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought you were a HVAC guy? There's enough blends out there that replace R-12, there's no need to go with propane.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Enviro-Safe Refrigerants are hydrocarbon refrigerants that are ultra-efficient .

6 oz. of Enviro-Safe is equivalent to 18 oz. of R-12 or 16 oz. of R-134a. 12 can/cases of ES-12a can be ordered for only $59.00 at the "Buy Now" in the upper left corner of this page(server is securely encrypted at the credit card page).

-==================

I think you're right "hydrocarbon refrigerants". Hey, back in the day when EPA wasn't on the scene, R22 and R12 were chosen because they are safe, and incredibly effective at carrying heat. From what I know, we havn't found much better than R-22.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

this 22a stuff is bogus

if they ever find a more efficient drop-in replacement for R-22 than is not flammable and doesn't leak out at different rates due to being a blend (not good), it will be all over CNN and every other news outlet.

"If it sounds too good to be true........"

"there's a sucker born every minute"

"a fool and his money are soon parted"

Reply to
cowboy

I think the problem with the cars is that if there is a leak it may burn or explode in the confined space of the interior of a car.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Traffic wreck / collision?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, Stormin, I am an A/C guy. A friend bought a bunch of the stuff ( forgot what the name of it was--Duracool comes to mind). Anyhow, he sold the cars he was going to use it in, so he gave the stuff to me. When the need came up, I decided to give it a try. True, it is flammable, but so is the 40 gallons of gas in the tank. OK, so my Suburban is a Diesel. If I get into a wreck and smash up the condenser, The stuff will most likely dissipate before it causes any problems-- if not ?? Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

I heard that about hauling around a fuel tank. Everything in the world is dangerous, we just have to choose our dangers.

I'm remembering a story I heard many years ago about a fellow who was using a flammable R-12 replacement. He'd just changed a compressor on a refrigerator. He'd neglected to vacuum out the air, and then charged in some of the flammable mix. Now, we have air and propane under pessure. He powered up the compressor, and exploded about half the house.

Since autos use a belt drive system, that's less of a concern. But, enough to get you thinking.

a pleasure to meet you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon