Annoying tic-toc clock.

I just push the Home button on my phone (which I also use as an alarm clock) and look.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I don’t even need to press anything, just raise the phone to have it show the time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That is great if your phone was surgically attached to your hand. I don't want to have to go try to find my phone to see what time it is.

Reply to
gfretwell

My parents had an old cuckoo clock in their farmhouse. The little bird would pop out and cuckoo out the hour. Ten times for ten o'clock, for example. It was wall mounted and weight powered. I don't remember how big the dial was. It might've had the numbers as Roman numerals.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It looked like it would be hard to get real clocks, so a few years ago I bought 4 Westclox clocks, with snooze alarm and lighted dial, at a hamfest a few years ago. I've only used 1, but they were only $2 a piece. I think they were "dumped" because it's very hard to turn the knob to set the t ime and alarm, but I rarely have to do that.

Reply to
micky

Some of us have enough of a clue to use the cellphone for everything now, so its always right next to them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have at least 8 or 9 quartz clocks around here along with the old school clock radio by my bed and the built in ones in my appliances. You can go to Klockit.Com and get those little square quartz clocks for a few bucks each for the good ones. (they have cheaper ones too) I was making clocks out of all sorts of stuff for a while. This is my disk clock

This is the one I need sometimes when I am disconnected

gfretwell

I have yet to be convinced that is a good thing. You can be too connected.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yep, you actually are that stupid.

You are free to turn on do not disturb when you want to.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My charging station is next to the bed. When I'm awake my phone is always in my pocket.

Right now, though, I can see the clock display on my computer. That's the case for about half of my waking time.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I was connected during my whole working life. I had a PT (Blackberry type device, connected to the IBM data network and anyone in the world who had PROFs or a PT) in 1985. I carried it everywhere. I had a pager

24/7/365 before that. I don't want to be connected all the time anymore. I don't need to be able to find out the population of Aardvark Michigan at a moment's notice and I don't twit every mundane aspect of my life. I spend too much time on the computer now. I want to get away from it now and then. I stopped turning on the TV as soon as I get in the house now too. If someone needs to get in touch with me, leave a message on my landline machine or send me an Email. I will see it when I get home.
Reply to
gfretwell

I had a PT that was on the network via RF and I logged in once a day, maybe less than that if I never logged it off.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just say "hey siri, what time is it?" and if I have my hearing aids in it tells me in my ears - without it tells everyone around.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My phone is either in its holster on my belt or charging on my bedside table. Occaisionally on charge in the truck and tethered to the stereo playing tunes - gotta get a holder to keep it from flying around the cab

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You are free to turn on do not disturb any time you like.

You are free to no do that.

And that.

You are free to do that any time you like.

And you have to fart around checking those.

And when your wife wants to get you to get something on the way home, you're f***ed.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I start wondering if i'm headed to Bidenland when i catch myself talking to the damn cat let alone Siri, Alexa, or some other piece of spyware. At least the cat ain't telling anybody anything.

Reply to
rbowman

Everybody's different, and I'm not all that connected even though I always have my phone with me. I don't even have a landline.

My husband, mother, boss, and dentist have my phone number. Everybody else can just send me a letter.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I rarely get a physical check. When I do, I use the drive-up ATM.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You seem to have all the excuses why you are married to your phone down pat. I still don't see the need. If the phone is off, why carry it?

No she is. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell