Annoying tic-toc clock.

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a 7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be replaced sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery. Any hints? phil the old hermit
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:18:33 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

I went through this when I was 13 years old. I just could't take it anymore; like you it kept me from falling asleep. I complained to my mother and she gave me an old AC electric clock. Problem solved. Check with your mother.
On 8/1/20 12:24 PM, micky wrote:
[snip]

When I was growing up, there was this electric clock with a particularly annoying sound. Not so much "tick tock", but wheezing. It reminded me of a perpetually runny nose. The volume of the sound varied over a period of about 6 seconds.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 8/1/20 12:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Would some form of spray foam help?
On 8/1/2020 1:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I was thinking foam like carpet backing or other packing material that I have saved.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:18:33 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

The standard battery powered clock movements come in 2 types : : continuous sweep = silent : mini quartz = tik tok
They cost about $ 10.. A Thrift Store clock can be had for less.
The critical dimension is the length of the stem.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/project-supplies/52297-continuous-sweep-clock-movements
John T.

That's what I'm looking for! Thanks John T. for this link. ;>) phil
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:58:47 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

Yep. I posted the Lee Valley link for their excellent product information - .. but they are also competitive for pricing - and they take much pride in customer service and customer satisfaction. Don't forget the stem-length ! if you are planning to order a replacement ..
John T.
On 8/1/2020 1:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Throw that noisy thing in the trash and buy a radio-controlled WWVB clock.
Zip lock bag
On 8/1/20 2:00 PM, Roger Oveur wrote:

And I also like a clock that TELLS the time (when I push a large button), so there's no need to turn on the light at night. The one I got cost $15 at Radio shack (almost 20 years ago).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 1:26:24 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I just push the Home button on my phone (which I also use as an alarm clock) and look.
Cindy Hamilton
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 03:37:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

That is great if your phone was surgically attached to your hand. I don't want to have to go try to find my phone to see what time it is.
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 14:10:48 +1000, "Rod Speed"

I have yet to be convinced that is a good thing. You can be too connected.
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 12:34:28 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings once a week it's a miracle.
Cindy Hamilton
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 03:58:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

I had a PT that was on the network via RF and I logged in once a day, maybe less than that if I never logged it off.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 4 Aug 2020 03:58:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 5:04:04 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I rarely get a physical check. When I do, I use the drive-up ATM.
Cindy Hamilton

You must really have an off brand bank if you don't drive by a branch every time you are out and the ATM is really easy to use if the Covid has the lobby closed. I assume if I internet banked I could drop a check on my scanner and deposit it tho. The reality is I only cash about a dozen checks a year and most come quarterly (dividends). Four trips a year to the bank is not a burden

Make it real easy for yourself; have your dividends ACH deposited to your checking account. No more worries about the check getting lost or stolen in the mail. No misplacing/losing it at home. No more needing to make a trip to an ATM or the bank. And, you have access to your money sooner.