Annoying tic-toc clock.

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit
Reply to
Phil Kangas
I went through this when I was 13 years old. I just could't take it anymore; like you it kept me from falling asleep. I complained to my mother and she gave me an old AC electric clock. Problem solved. Check with your mother.
Reply to
micky
The standard battery powered clock movements come in 2 types : : continuous sweep = silent : mini quartz = tik tok
They cost about $ 10.. A Thrift Store clock can be had for less.
The critical dimension is the length of the stem.

John T.
Reply to
hubops
Oull the old guts and replace with a newer, quieter mechanism (but virtually all of the lower cost mechanisms DO tick.
Reply to
Clare Snyder
Yep. I posted the Lee Valley link for their excellent product information - .. but they are also competitive for pricing - and they take much pride in customer service and customer satisfaction. Don't forget the stem-length ! if you are planning to order a replacement ..
John T.
Reply to
hubops
Even my Timex Expedition wristwatch ticks. It's normally not noticeable but if it's very quiet I can hear it. Last weekend I was out in the woods and I noticed the car was doing something about 8 hours after it had last been operated. I assume it was the fuel pump.
A lot of things ain't what they used to be but despite a lifetime of motorcycles, glasspaks, and guns I still have wolf ears.
Reply to
rbowman
[snip]
When I was growing up, there was this electric clock with a particularly annoying sound. Not so much "tick tock", but wheezing. It reminded me of a perpetually runny nose. The volume of the sound varied over a period of about 6 seconds.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
And I also like a clock that TELLS the time (when I push a large button), so there's no need to turn on the light at night. The one I got cost $15 at Radio shack (almost 20 years ago).
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
I have a clock that ticks and chimes on th quarter hour. After 40 years I don't notice it much but I still like the sound. If I wake during the night I can hear the chimes softly from the dining room.
Some people are annoyed, I find it more soothing.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]
I remember visiting my mother's parents, who came from Germany and have a cuckoo clock that cuckoos the hour. It was just on the other side of the wall from where I slept. I got used to that.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
That is great if your phone was surgically attached to your hand. I don't want to have to go try to find my phone to see what time it is.
Reply to
gfretwell

Site Timeline Threads