All steel house

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 01:58:23 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@-none-.com wrote Re All steel house:

Looks like a good idea. Go for it.

No, I for one couldn't care less.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Buy an old ship, transport it to your property and bury most of the hull in the ground. It would be easier to weld up all the openings in the hull than to start from scratch. There are people using old airliners for homes, why not use an old ship?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I want to build a house out of steel. Every piece welded together. I figure some 1/8" steel plates welded to 2" angle iron in the corners, and reinforced with 1x2" channel at the seams. Everything, including the floor and roof will be steel. The floor will be covered with plywood for stability. I'm considering installing paneling on the interior using PL200 adhesive. The exterior will just be a rust proof paint on the steel. I intend to build this on a traditional concrete block foundation, with steel I-beams and some other steel channel to reinforce the floor.

I suppose you want to know why I want an all steel air tight home. The answer is simple. Mice and rats. I cant seem to keep them out of any other house, and because of them, I dont even sleep in my house anymore. I sleep in an all metal (tin) toolshed now, which is not insulated and can get pretty cold. However this shed had some air gaps, but I filled them with silicone caulking.

A few questions. Since there will be no seams, do I need insulation? It will be 100% air tight, but I know that steel gets cold in winter and hot in summer. I want no drilled holes, so if I need insulation, how do I install it? Can I glue on foam, then glue paneling over the foam? I'm also struggling with how to install the wiring. I know romex wont work because there's no way to attach it. So I can only figure to weld on steel conduit and boxes. The problem arises when I need to bring in the power from the outside meter. I do not want any holes whatsoever, and to get the wires inside, I would need a hole. Any ideas? As for the water pipes, those I can weld into the structure, so that's not a problem. Same for the gas pipes. But the last problem is the chimney. That leaves a hole. So far my only idea is to have the furnace outside, use hot water radiators which come into the house with pipes welded to the structure.

Anyone ever built a house like this?

Reply to
lifsmort

Very similar to it. They are called "ships".

Reply to
dadiOH

Think cat.

Reply to
HeyBub

Steel is cold and passes cold. Spray foam 6 inches thick all around should help. All you need is a pregnant mouse to get into the door when you ain't looking and your steel house will be full of rodents. I have a wooden house and no rodents come in because I don't have any cracks or holes.

Reply to
LSMFT

Don=92t use adhesive for paneling. Screw on strips of wood and then nail the paneling to the strips using a pneumatic nailer. I you use adhesive you=92ll never be able to get them off and with the strips you=92ll have the option of putting insulation between them and running conduit through them but you=92ll have to use rigid conduit so that they are protected from drilling screw holes in the walls or you will have to bring up the conduit up from the concrete slab at each individual location which means you need to install the conduit before you pour the concrete. You may not drill holes but some guy many years from now may do so. Do not weld pipe or you=92ll never be able to get them off and don=92t worry about drilling holes so much. If you drill very precisely you won't have any gaps around the pipes. As for the chimney, you can put a fine screen around the chimney cap to keep almost anything out, and yes I know you=92re a troll but the reason I=92m responding to you is because I don=92t want someone to read what you wrote many years from now and think building out of steel is silly because it isn=92t .

Reply to
Molly Brown

I've never seen a cat take a rat of any substantial size. They don't eat rats, or mice for that matter. Think rat poison.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

"Towser"

21 April 1963-30 March 1987

Towser, the famous cat who lived in the still house, Glenturret Distillery, for almost 24 years. She caught 28,899 mice in her lifetime. World mousing champion, Guinness Book of Records. (Plus rats, a few pheasants, and an occasional rabbit.)

Reply to
HeyBub

Wish I knew you were looking. I coulda sold you mine. I moved in 2007, and it was just like you described. The purchasers were an albino couple, and couldn't be exposed to any sunlight. They have four little kids, all with pink eyes and white blonde hair. He works C-trick, in a coal mine, and she models for a company that sells nightgowns. The kids are home schooled.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Welded steel cat?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How in the heck did they count the mice?

As to the person who said cats dont eat mice, you need to go back to school. Mice are their favorite meal. On the other hand most cats wont tackle a rat, but some do. I guess the rats attack the cat or something.

Reply to
jw

Check out

With the housing shortage after World War II, the Lustron Corporation produced prefab steel homes.

Reply to
Bob

I have had cats all my life so I should know. It depends on the cat. I have a Manx mix among others that will kill and eat everything including the head and tail if it=92s a mouse but will leave the head and tail if it=92s a rat, I don=92t know why. It=92s not like they can=92t chew it because I had a Ural Rex that could eat a whole chicken including all the bones. They liked to team up with my Ragdoll who was much better at finding them but would not eat.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I think they used a beaded-string thingy like you see over pool tables.

Reply to
HeyBub

Manx are "bad" cats! I had a friend with one who had warned the Holey Roller visitors not to touch the cat. A hospital visit ensued when they ignored said advice. That was a big cat!

I just have the garden variety cats here. Catching mice is easy, but I only see them dead, rarely they may eat the head.

Chipmunks, on the other hand, are the perfect food. Tasty and entertaining. Mine find lizards and snakes tasty also. Moles and mice are just left for dead, there are better meals. Rabbits are good, but not particularly entertaining.

It?s not like they can?t

He must have been huge!

I've seen mine take rabbits of all sizes, but only stand off rats. A full grown Norway rat is a serious opponent for a 10 pound cat!

They also won't tangle with raccoons. They seem completely indifferent to possums. I've seen a possum eating while a cat was resting against him. Possums can eat a lot of cat food, but I guess cats don't take that into consideration.

They liked to team up with my Ragdoll who was

Must indeed depend on the cat!

Got some pics somewhere, if anyone is interested.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I don't know much about steel homes but I know a couple people that have steel or steel reinforced homes. One was just multiplied for multiple sites.

The other was a home where I used to live, the nations first fallout shelter home...

zek

I don't know much about steel homes but I know a couple people that have steel or steel reinforced homes. One was just multiplied for multiple sites.

The other was a home where I used to live, the nations first fallout shelter home...

zek

My cat eats the Tweety's but as far as I can tell only kills the Micky's, Alvin's and Thumper's.

We don't have any Templeton's so I don't know what she would do with one if confronted.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

One of my cats

has caught several mice, as well as lizards, and at least one small rabbit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd