Air handler

I worked out the deal first, then noticed they were going to charge me a finance charge. Told them the TV said 0 % so I either get that or I walk out. They took the deal.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've seen a fair number of houses on TV that have a master suite on the first floor and bedrooms upstairs for the kids. How on earth do those parents maintain any awareness of what their little princes and princesses get up to? No wonder kids stay up all night playing with their electronic toys. I could barely roll over in bed without my mother snapping, "What are you doing in there?"

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Our back door is nearly at grade level. (Grade being defined by the concrete patio outside the door.) But the first thing you come to inside the house are the basement stairs, with a jog left to get into the kitchen. I suppose we'd put up a beefy gate on the stairs so nobody winds up in the basement tangled up in the wheelchair.

My working plan is to add a door at the dining room window at the rear of the house. It might be cheaper to install a ramp at the front, but that's another tight corner as soon as you enter.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Cameras.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Saw the gas and AC electric bills cut about in half here when I replaced a 25 year old system with a 94%, 14 SEER.

Reply to
trader_4

In my last house I replace the oil fired boilers with a System 2000 by Energy Kinetics. I never heard of them until I saw it mentioned in a post here.

They advertise "up to 40% fuel savings" I figured with the"up to" phrase it was BS. It was, I only saved 38% and the system paid for itself over a few years.

I ran the numbers using degree days for comparison. I wrote Energy Kinetics and showed them my numbers and they did their own to verify it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Up to" always spells BS, I think, but the commercial I saw recently advertised weight loss "up to an average of 12 pounds."

Um, say what? We're talking elementary school arithmetic here.

Reply to
TimR

In this case, I was hoping for 20% and was shocked at how well it did.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The zero percent charge is in the price of the car. On the Lincoln they took $1500 off if I didn't use the 0%. They also knocked off another $1000 for using Ford Credit and I paid that off right away. When you take off the $10,000 they were offering to take a year end model and the $5000 I got for the 20 year old F-150 (thanks Barry) it was too good a deal to pass up.

Reply to
gfretwell

The standard plan here is the master is at one end of the house and the other bedrooms are at the other. It lets you have company without having to sleep with them.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've never lived in a house with a real master bedroom. One full bathroom and some number of bedrooms (2 in my mother's house; 3 in every house I've owned). I've also never lived in a house that was younger than me.

We're probably done having sleepovers. The last one was 20 years ago, if memory serves.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

We're planning one for later this week.

All of my kids have moved away. Anywhere from 200 to 2300 miles away. They left lots of friends behind and the "age of marriage" is upon them.

One daughter is coming in on Thursday for a wedding and my son is arriving later today for a different wedding. They'll be splitting time (sleepovers) with us and with their friends.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

That sounds very nice.

We don't have any kids. His parents are dead and mine lives only 40 miles away.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

If you are replacing a system that is early 90s or before there is a huge jump in efficiency when they came out with better compressors and variable speed air handlers in the mid 90s. There have been more improvements but until they can get the inverter thing working right on 3-5 ton machines we may hitting a wall. The mini splits put out amazing numbers. Mine both claim 26 SEER.

There is also the benefit you get down here that they usually replace your ductwork and that can get leaky over time. There is a lot of saving to be had there.

Reply to
gfretwell

We still have kids and grand kids. That is a house full. My addition was a room for the kids. I have had my buddies down here a couple times. Other than that it is just an exercise room.

This house plan was still good with our daughter. She had her own bedroom and bathroom. She had to clean them. Worked out great.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 06:36:00 -0500, Snag posted for all of us to digest...

I did, many posts ago, Clare did.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:49:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

If you abandon the old and install new then all the ducts must be rerouted. I got the impression the installer didn't want to put new in because the webs and possibly the chords must be removed to install the new. Like many of these HH posts we haven't heard anything back...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 06:56:17 -0400, Buck Fiden posted for all of us to digest...

Then they did a crappy job. I have a three zone system and it looks like another downspout was installed.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:25:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Ed, I had previously disputed your conclusion. Now I want to revisit it. How much was the total cost, including installation and equipment. I just want satisfy myself... Email is good if you wish.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 16:08:56 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

The garage is sunken to trap gasoline fumes from ignition sources.

Reply to
Tekkie©