Air Conditioning

Hello all, I'm new at this, so i'm not sure if I'm posting to the right group, or if this is even appropriate. But, here goes---I'm on a tight budget, and I'm trying to lower my AC bill. I don't have a programmable AC (live in an apartment). So, I was wondering if you could tell me how I could most efficiently set my thermostat and the fan (only settings are 'auto' and 'on'). Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Jillian

Reply to
uvadixiechicken

Hi Jillian,

I would set the t'stat on whatever is appropriate for your personal taste. For example - if you like sleeping at night in a cooler environment - set it at that. If you're gone during the day - set it at about 76°. Leave the fan on the "auto" setting (reasons on humidity previously posted.)

Now - the way to retain as much cool air as possible and to keep as much heat out would be to keep all your closet doors closed, and invest in some insulated drapes. Keeping the sun out during the day will make a tremendous difference. Imagine sitting in front of a sunlit window all day. That happens to our upholstered furniture that just soaks up the heat. When the temp. in the room is lowered - the heat is released from the furniture. Hope this helps (and I hope you're not in an upstairs apt - always warmer - especially down here in Texas!) :-)

Jim PS: love the moniker "uvadixiechicken"

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Hi Jillian!

U > I'm new at this, so i'm not sure if I'm posting to the right group, or if U > this is even appropriate. But, here goes---I'm on a tight budget, and I'm U > trying to lower my AC bill. I don't have a programmable AC (live in an U > apartment). So, I was wondering if you could tell me how I could most U > efficiently set my thermostat and the fan (only settings are 'auto' and U > 'on'). Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Sure it's the right group! :) Moving the air will give a "wind chill" effect so as the other person replied fans will help. The fan on your a/c will move some air around but not enough to make that much of a difference, though should help even out temperatures room-to- room.

A floor fan is probably your best bet. Fans small enough to go on furniture generally won't move as much air. Ceiling fans are also good but in an apartment probably can't be installed. Look for a fan with a greater blade pitch ==> a small angle won't move as much air through as one with a greater angle. As for the number of blades I don't think it makes much difference as fewer blades with a larger surface probably works out the same as more blades with less surface.

  • Skeptic: when sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it's a forgery.
Reply to
barry martin

EL wrote

While that may be true, the "re-evaporate" process will also consume heat which is the main purpose of the unit, the removal of heat. I wonder if anyone has done any actual tests to determine the effect of either?

Also, we don't know where the OP lives and may be in a dry climate where a 'swamp cooler' type evaporative cooler is quite acceptable (especially considering the limited amount of humidity likely to be produced by such a process in a regular A/C unit IMO).

The main point I was trying to make was that a professionally maintained (cleaned) air conditioner will have the greatest effect on energy consumption as it helps the main energy consumer (the compressor) do its job most efficiently.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Good advice! Floor fans work great at 3 or 4 foot heights too. Leave your TH on Auto! and use a floor fan. When you're not home set TH at 79 or 80. Air circulation makes a huge difference. -D

D-