? advantage of a 3-wire submersible pump

What is the advantage, if any, of a 3-wire submersible pump over

2-wire?

My driller steered me away from 3-wire because of the extra expense of a control box, a larger cable to drop, and other considerations (which I forgot quite efficiently, thank you).

I'm guessing with a 3-wire you can use 240V --so it's for the larger pumps?

Why do they even make a 1-hp 3-wire pump?

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

One guess would be voltage drop. The well might be a long way from a power source.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The advantage is the control box. A two wire pump has the stuff that's in the control box, inside the motor, where it's a major expense if a fifty cent capacitor pops and needs to be replaced

Reply to
RBM

When I was a rigger for Texaco, we used 8 wires.

Reply to
mm