Cost to replace submersible well pump

I just had my submersible pump replaced. The well is 300' deep. They put in a 1/2 h.p. Gould Pump,new line and new wiring. The cost was $2800. Was this a good price???

Reply to
Den

Guess it depends on where you live. My 4", 120' deep well with 1HP submersible pump was $2000 including digging, casing and pressure tank.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Only if you were also kissed.

I had a 260 ft well drilled (mostly through granite), 60 feet of steel casing, and a 3/4 HP Gould pump installed for $1500.

RB

Den wrote:

Reply to
RB

The other responses mention drilling...you indicate ONLY that the pump was replaced.

Anything more than $800 was total rip off. You can buy 1/2 hp submersible deep well pumps all day long for under $350. Replacing my 1/2 hp pump and wiring was $700...around 200ft. deep.

Gary

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Is this a DIY project?

submersible

Reply to
art

"Curmudgeon" wrote.

submersible

I'm a Gould's dealer (among others) and I do pump and pressure tank replacements including new drop pipe (tubing), j-bodies, fittings, cable etc.. I have a 4x4 truck outfitted for just pump work and my wife and I with our pump pulling machine can pull from down to 600'. So what brand pump did you/they use for the $700?

Anyone can go to the big box stores and buy a lower quality submersible pump for under $350 and install it themselves but.. they can't buy the cable and splice kit, new tubing (drop pipe) and correct cable and new fittings for that amount and then get top quality. usually the cable will be the lowest priced and so will the tubing. No submersible should be hung on anything less than 160 psi rated. And that's only to about 300'; 200 psi over that assuming PE tubing. And the grade should be the highest; like Endopure. And I'll tell ya that the big box places aren't selling close to the best.

His drop pipe may have been galvanized pipe. Maybe 1" or 1.25" and maybe they had to use a derrick truck. And we don't know where he's from. NE is going to be in his price range although I think it's very high. So placing an $800 limit on 300' using a Gould's pump is unrealistic IMO.

Personally I think they took you unless there was a lot of extra work done that you haven't mentioned. A simple pull and replace shouldn't have taken more than 3-4 hours and you should have the best quality drop pipe, stainless steel fittings and pump and the 5 year Prosurance pump warranty plus one year on their work. IMO the charge should have been $800 to $1500 depending on where you live. More than that should not be justifiable. Unless they excavated and replaced the underground line, cable and maybe pitless adapter. Then it would be a fair price.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Bulletin Board

Gary Slusser

"art" wrote

It can be with PE tubing and 2-4 guys with the right tools but not if there's galvanized drop pipe.