Adhesive removal help

I think anything but water would dissolve it, and cause it to migrate further into the surface. Am I wrong?

I would use water, patience, time, a plastic 2" drywall knife, and an attitude.

The attitude is to get as much as you can, float the wall to get a fresh surface, retexture, and paint.

At least, that's what I would do.

You can do less, but you will get less.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ass-a-nine!

Who?

oren

I just removed some vinyl wallpaper from my home, but the wallpaper was glued to the wall with some solvent based adhesive. The wall paper came off with lots of pulling, but the adhesive is a different matter. Wall is the best method to remove this type of adhesive that is not water based. I intend to prime the wall prior to painting.

Thanks.

Reply to
malamilia

I've been removing it by using my fingers to rub slowly- its like painting a house with an artist's 1/8in brush! I might finish by the end of the month ! ouch!

The post about using WD40 - I did not try WD40 cause it will leave oil on the sufface which mya affect the primer. Won't it ?

Reply to
malamilia

paper

matter.

How about WD-40. It works to take nasty adhesive or stickers off many things? try it if you have it.

aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

but the wallpaper

You sure about that?

The wall paper

Reply to
3rd eye

This is an inspired idea. If you never want anything to stick to the wall again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Boy does this bring back horrible memories. I just did this this summer.

Ended up using goo-gone which worked fairly well but not perfectly. still left a little residual.

A word of caution. When you prime, move quickly and do not go back over where you have already painted. any residual adhesive will cause the paint to "clump up" if you go back over it. Wet paint loosens the adhesive and the bond. Once it dries it is tight as can be and you can finish coat it without a problem. Allow the prime coat to thouroughly dry before topcoating.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I am assuming what you are seeing is actually the nappy backing from the vinyl wallpaper. 25 years ago I removed nearly an entire houseful of this stuff. An awful job -- I would pay someone to do it today, probably someone I didn't like.

Anyway, I found that warm water will work on it eventually. Using a wall steamer will also work, but I found it very slow going. The best thing was a strong, warm ammonia solution, which took it off quickly, but was an awful and smelly job that may have shortened my lifespan an unknown amount. But the stuff came off!

Above all, you have to protect the floor and woodwork if you use ammonia, as it will take off varnish and paint along with the wallpaper schmutz. Keep the windows open and fans going. Go outside frequently. It helps to be young and stupid and broke.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Reply to
malamilia

I tried goo-gone but it smelled awful and had to abandone it.

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering what will happen with some of the light residue. Good to know.

Reply to
malamilia