Adding insulation between finished floors

I am replacing carpet on the 3rd floor of a town home, and at the same time screwing down the 3/4" plywood to fix a plethora of squeaks and uneven boards.

I've been considering adding insulation between floors. There are in-ceiling speakers below and it would be nice to muffle this a bit more as well as insulate the 2nd floor from 3rd floor sounds more. The air gap, sheetrock, and pad/carpet does a decent job but a little more sound insulation would be nice.

My big question is related to fire safety and insulation type. There are standard light cans in the ceiling and I'm uncertain how these need to be handled. Could I blow loose fill attic-type insulation in there? So I would just perhaps to make three or so cutouts in the sub-floor to do this.

Entire 3rd floor is approx 20x50'. Two rooms, a hallway, and two bathrooms.

Any advice?

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
mikeorb

Some recessed lights are rated for contact with insulation. Many are not. Putting insulation in contact with these is a fire hazard. Cutting holes in the floor probably invalidates a required fire rating for the separation between units. In addition, the space between floor and ceiling probably does not belong to you. TB

Reply to
tbasc

I don't think it would be worthwhile, and I worry about the fire hazard. Definitely you need any insulation to be a long way from recessed lighting. Newer recessed lights have to be rated 'IC' vs 'nonIC', but you may not be able to tell on an old installation. Insulation between floors is not as effective as you might think for a sound barrier, since a lot of sound comes through the wooden joists rather than the air. I put insulation into a floor but it didn't help a lot. I later struggled to fish a wire past that #! insulation. If there are speakers you might be able to wrap the speakers themselves without putting insulation everywhere.

Dave

"mikeorb" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Dave

You have to keep insulation away from the light cans (like a metal ring a specific distance from the lights). You need the light manufactures specs. Blowing insulation is not going to be very effective, in fact, you would need to tear up the ceiling to do anything effective.

You best bet is the floor above. Add a layer of sound deadening cloth (lead material) under the pad, a thicker pad, or a heavier carpet.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the cans and they are Juno IC22 which is rated for direct contact with insulation. But it sounds like it is not worth the hassle, and localized insulation around the speakers would be one way to go if the speaker does not need an air gap for proper sound.

Regards,

-Mike

Reply to
mikeorb