Insulation Between Floors

I have a room stripped bare to the studs. Its a corner room on the first floor, so I'm planning on reinsulating the two exterior walls. I'm wondering if I should do anything with the areal where the ceiling/floor joists between the first and second floor reach the edge of the house. Basically there is a 2x6 block, 1/2" sheathing, foam and then vinal siding. Should I try to add some insulation in these end cavaties between the floors?

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Adding insulation couldn't hurt. If you consider the building envelope, this would be simailar to a piece of uninsulated wall. Sealing joints could help too.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Sure. It will help some. Is the payback worth it to pay someone to do it? Maybe not, but it's the right thing for your house.

RicodJour

Yes you should. It is similiar to a basement sill plate being insulated.( where the joists sit on top of the foundation wall). It will definately help.

Reply to
Mikepier

Actually I insulated my entire 1st floor ceiling. Then I can close off the upstairs and just heat the downstairs - saving money on heating costs.

I also have a door at the foot of the stairs going to the second floor. If I want the upstairs warm, I leave the door open (warms up in a couple of hours), if I will not be using the upstairs for awhile, I'll close it.

Reply to
Bill