Adding a sub-panel to an existing service.

Have a commercial application where the customer wants to bring power to a tent area next to his building. Filing for a permitted new service is extremely costly and not time efficient. Would it be possible to tie into the existing service and put in an additional 200 amp panel, safely without disturbing or causing a power drop at initial panel?

Reply to
Dino Homsey

You can't put 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag. If the existing panel is

200 amp, then the service is highly likely rated at that capacity. If you really need another 200 amp capacity, then you either run a new service or increase the capacity of existing one.

What's going on in this tent area that requires a 200A panel?

Reply to
trader_4

Sure, if you have existing 400 or more already. If you have 200 you can't get 200 twice from it.

To get a good answer you have to give good information, such as the existing panel size and real load needed, load already used.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Think we know the answer from the question..."another" is the key word, methinks.

The guy is trying to cheap out and bypass his local inspection process, etc., it would appear.

He'll get caught out sooner or later and probably end up being far more expensive in the end than what could save to try to get by.

Reply to
dpb

The short answer is what does a load calculation tell you? Anything else is a guess.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 3/11/2020 11:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Wouldn't be any fun at all if we never guessed, pontificated nor otherwise hobnobbed with fellow wizards... :)

Reply to
dpb

If I was hob nobing I would look at the electric bills, try to determine when it is being loaded and when the lights are off and then guess.

Reply to
gfretwell