Adding a Phone to the Workshop

Just tie backk the unused wires. The convention is blue/white is line one, orange/white line 2.

You could probably get away with using the other 2 pair for a LAN but it is not recomended.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm running cat5e to a workshop in my backyard to use for a phone.

I have the following questions:

  1. I'm going to install one end of the cable directly into the NID. Is this acceptable...do I piggy back (place over the top) of the existing wires inside the box ??

  1. What color wires do I use for this installation ??

  2. How do I transition the workshop end of the cable into a wall plate that will accept the smaller phone jack ??

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
Ray

As both 568a or 568b have the blue pair on pins 4 & 5, if you just wire per cat5 you will be fine because the smaller phone plug RJ11 fits just fine into an RJ45 (cat5) jack.

FWIW, I run data and telephone nearly 500 ft in the same cable, as the blue pair and pins 4&5 aren't used in 10BaseT data transmission.

SEE:

PrecisionMachinisT

Have you considered just using a cordless phone?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Two words: CORDLESS PHONE

Reply to
SteveB

What ever happened to "Christmas tree, bumble bee"? for color conventions?

Reply to
no1herenow

Those colors are not standard in "category" rated cables.

sdb

Reply to
Sylvan Butler

I don't know what "Christmas tree, bumble bee" stands for. However, the standard telephone wiring is blue, orange, green, brown, slate. Some pairs are blue/white (blue with white bands) white/blue .... white being the 1st secondary color. Some cables have pairs that are blue/1white and blue/2 white (1 band or 2 bands). The secondary color is white, red, black, yellow, violet. As for 4 wire telephone cables, solitd red and solid green is the 1st pair and yellow and black is the 2nd. The so called tip side of the line is the green wire and the ring side of the line is red (get it, Red, Ring). On an open line, the Tip side will be at ground and the Ring side will be at

-48 volts .... usually.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Art Todesco

Perhaps I am dating myself.... traditional phone lines were colored red & green (Christmas tree) and yellow and black (bumble bee). Has been that way for ages.....

Reply to
no1herenow

Works for me. I'm old enough to know that one. Red, Ring.

That old four color stuff, still works nicely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Guess yer not old enough?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or how about a wireless network? Just plug the wireless router into an existing network hub and configure it using MAC filtering

Reply to
sleepdog

We have both wireless and cable based connections in our house. Laptops work through wireless, desktop computers are permanently wired.

Practically, wireless is nice and it works most of the time, but it is not nearly as reliable as ethernet and real throughput does not even compare.

We have a relatively modern 801.11g routers and cards etc, so it is not the case of me using antiquated equipment.

Ignoramus6998

Yup. :)

And many years ago phone installations started using more than 2 or 4 wires and so other colors were standardized for 3 pair, 4 pair, and even

24 pair and bigger cables. 30 years ago my house was wired with 3 pair category-III cable. Some time in the past 10-15 years a third line was added for an 800 number into the home office. That work was done by US West, using the cheap 2 pair bumblebee cable. When I moved in, I tried to connect that wire to my two phone lines (blue and orange pairs to r/g and y/b respectively). I discovered a LOT of cross-talk between lines due to that cheap wire. I had to discontinue using it, but the much older cat-3 is fine. (As is the cat-5 I've run.)

sdb

Reply to
Sylvan Butler

I talked to the Uniden rep at Consumer Electronics Show. We had installed their booth. I asked him to give me an honest answer to the question, "Are wireless systems any good?"

He said if there isn't anything between the sending units, they worked just okay. If there were walls, pipes, wiring, masonry, or anything else, their effectiveness was diminished. He said in his opinion they were just more "stuff" for the gearhead.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Definately not gonna pass through stucco or metal siding and on into a detached workshop.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT