Add light fixture to an existing switch that controls receptacle? part2

Ok, I'm back w/ more info. I need to add a light fixture to a switch that currently controls 1 receptacle in the same room. Power goes to the switch and then to the receptacle which is an "end of run". There are no other receptacles/lights on this switch. I have full access to the wiring via the attic. Do I connect the light fixture wiring to the switch,the receptacle or should I do junction boxes in the attic. What is the "right" way of doing it? Pros/cons of different ways?

Reply to
rjh959

"Ok, I'm back w/ more info. I need to add a light fixture to a switch that currently controls 1 receptacle in the same room. Power goes to the switch and then to the receptacle which is an "end of run". There are no other receptacles/lights on this switch. I have full access to the wiring via the attic. Do I connect the light fixture wiring to the switch,the receptacle or should I do junction boxes in the attic. What is the "right" way of doing it? Pros/cons of different ways? "

People gave you several ways of doing it, all of which are acceptable, provided you do the work correctly. You can run the fan wiring to the outlet and connect it there. You can run it to the switch and connect it there. Both of those require snaking cables into walls. You can cut the cable in the attic, install a junction box (more likely two junction boxes because the existing cable won't be long enough) and run the cable to the fan from there, which likely is easier. Any of those will work and will leave you with a fan and outlet/outlets on the same switch, if that's what you want.

Personally, the easiest and best way is to forget about using the switch. Just find a hot line in the attic, use a junction box/boxes if needed (you might find an existing one, like one serving an attic light), and run a hot line direct to the fan. Then use a wireless remote to work the fan.

Reply to
trader4

Doh! Sorry, got confused and thought it was a fan, not a light you were installing. But, heh, maybe you can put a fan in with a light, the remote works both.

Reply to
trader4

thanks for the reply. you confirmed what i thought and now i feel much more confident. i went to HD during lunch and looked at a wiring book. i think that i will go the junction box/s in the attic route.

Reply to
rjh959

Open the Over Current Protective Device that supplies the power to the circuit and test with a solenoid tester (wiggy). Retest circuit with a non contact proximity voltage tester. Ground out the black wires of the circuit to the EGC to confirm the circuit is dead. Fish a two wire plus ground cable down to the switch box from the attic. Wire nut all of the Equipment Grounding (bonding) Conductors (EGCs) together with a pigtail to the grounding terminal of the box. Wire nut all of the white conductors together and tuck them back out of the way. Wire nut the black from the supply cable, the black from the receptacle, and a pig tail for the switch if you want to make the receptacle always on. OR Wire nut the black from the new lighting outlet box cable, the black from the receptacle, and a pig tail for the switch if you want to keep the receptacle switched. Attach the pigtail and the single remaining black wire to the terminals of a single pole switch. Restore power to the circuit and test for function.

Reply to
Member, Takoma Park Volunteer