Flush mount light fixture, 16" x 16"?

Where might I look for a very small, flush-mount light fixture?

We are finishing off an attic. There is very limited headroom so we can't put hanging shop lights. I found a 15x15 "low profile" fixture at Home Depot, but it still protrudes about 3".

They have lots of fixtures such as you see in kitchens with the plastic diffuser sheets that mount flush with the ceiling, but they are all at least 4' long. We want to put them between the rafters (about 16" centers). We don't have close to 4' in length because of a wall.

I have checked the local lighting and electrical stores and online.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Have you considered using those little surface mounted halogen lights? I've used them to some success. You could mount a piece of plywood between the rafters about 2" up and mount the lights to that.

The kits are super easy to install, they're bright, and fairly inexpensive. There's usually a pretty broad range of styles to choose from if you need them to look nice.

Reply to
nhurst

I'm not sure what you mean. Are they recessed? We are going to sheetrock the ceiling so I need it to be recessed.

Do you have a link that shows what you are talking about?

I did find a link for Halo recessed 11" square lights:

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Reply to
LurfysMa

Here's a link to something similar to what I used in the past:

You'll want to watch out for line wrapping on the link, and you'll want to check that that product can be used in a permanent installation like you're wanting to do. A lot of this type of lighting isn't intended to be used as room lighting in a ceiling, but this one seems to be different from those others, but you'll want to double check anyway.

I checked the manufacturer web site, and they didn't say anything one way or the other, so you'd probably want to call either them or an electrician and ask them.

Reply to
nhurst

OK, thanks. I'll go over to Home Depot and see if they carry something like this.

Reply to
LurfysMa

one annoyance of eye-level lighting is glare. but if the fixture blocks sides of the lamp/bulb to prevent glare, the light shines mostly downward (narrow distribution).

LurfysMa in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

check catalogs for mfrs with extensive product line. (you probably already have.

15" tall was too short?) decades ago square/rectangular recess fixtures were more popular. i think (!) some will take up to 150w incandescent.

otherwise, maybe some of those showcase lamps? but i don't think they'll be very efficient.

Undercabinet
also probably low lumens, efficiency.

i wonder what are the dimensions of fixtures for these fluorescent tubes?

flourescent cove fixtures?

multiple LV recess?

a relatively inexpensive close to ceiling, but i didn't think they were only 3" tall as cat seems to claim

old fashioned 'torpedoes', but how to arrange to avoid glare and headbumping?
photo of single-socket)

Reply to
Choise76Smu