AC REPLACEMENT

Hi, my AC went out and I decided to replace the unit. I live in Sanantonio, Texas and it gets hot here. The guy gave me a lists of quotes and I am thinking about getting the Trane XL19i system. It is supposed to be top of the line. The total price he quoted me is $

9130. That covers everything, heat pump, ai handler, installation and taxes. Does this seem like a reasonable offer for this unit? It is 17.90 SEER and my old unit is 10 SEER. My current electric bill is about $250 a month. What type of savings would I there be?

Thanks, JBS

Reply to
warrior

Isnt there a Trane brochere on that?

Reply to
m Ransley

JBS,

There are many variables in the pricing of replacement units. I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance of that system as long as it is sized and installed properly. Be sure that a load calculation is done to guarantee you will be comfortable and satisfied with your energy savings. Installation workmanship is the determining factor in choosing a contractor. Ask for references if you'd like, just be sure you're getting a quality installation to go with your quality system.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

Hi, thanks for the information. This is probably a dumb question but I am going to ask anyway. What is does load calculation mean? The contractor is one of the better ones around this area. Don't think he will try any short cuts like those damn builders do.

Thanks,

JBS

Reply to
warrior

wrote

A load calculation in your case is a Manual J residential heat gain/heat loss. This is an assessment of the construction of your home, insulation, windows, doors, etc. to figure the necessary sizing of heating and cooling equipment. A properly sized unit will provide far better comfort. Too many contractors just replace the unit with the size that's there and this may or may not be correct depending on the situation, therefore you may have the oppertunity to be more comfortable than before and not know it.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

For that outrageous price, he'd better throw rose petals beneath your feet for duration of the warranty.

It's "up to" 17.9 SEER, pal. "Up to", they say, like mpg for a car going downhill. These units are made to satisfy the customer who wants to blow more money than is remotely justifiable.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I am confused now. I thought 17.9 SEER is top of the line and would save me money in the long term. I know it is expensive but isn't it the best energy efficient rating on the market? The price is only $1569.00 more than a 14.0 SEER. I also like the ten year parts and labor warranty. Why do you consider the price outrageous? I called several different reputable contractors an they were all within $200 of each other. Do appreciate your opinion though even though you confused me.

JBS

Reply to
warrior

The SEER numbers are very complicated. This is so you can't possibly make a valid comparison or do your own measurements. Moreover, the "up to" qualification makes it meaningless.

There is a declining return on improved efficiency, and in the upper ranges the results are contingent on questionable assumptions. The salesmen will have you believing that you can just about run these things off flashlight batteries.

Well, who wouldn't. But any warranty on any product must be discounted heavily for durations longer than a year or two. Ten years is an eternity when it comes to enforcing contracts.

Now you didn't tell us the size of the system. But a change-out of a typical household system, you are buying no more than $2K wholesale of goods, and in a competitive market the retail mark-up and installation could reasonably double that and keep the contractor happy. At the $9K+ you report, either this is way more than a typical system, or you're in an area run by colluding trade interests with government monopoly enforcement (and doesn't the harmony of +/- $200 on a $9K job kinda make you wonder about that?).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

System is a 5 Ton. House is 3300 SF.

JBS

Reply to
warrior

Good grief, you think that's bad. I had a Sears creep stop here. Have a ton and a half on the roof, Duct and lines are all there. Just wanted the unit and he said the handler would need replacing too. Said 4,500.00 ought to do it. I said goodby. A few window units do just fine here. joevan

Reply to
joevan

That "creep" in this case might have been high, but hes right about replacing the air handler. If the outside unit is old enough to require a replacement, and you expect to get what you pay for, you have to replace the air handler and lineset many times.

Reply to
CBhVAC:)

I've been doing ACR for twenty eight years. Your'e getting screwed.

Reply to
ed

That doesn't tell me anything. I am not getting a KMART special. This is the most efficient system on the market. You get what you pay for. I could have hired someone with 20 years experience to install a cheap brand at lower price but that would not have saved me anything during the long term. This unit will pay for itself in time. I checked around and I am not getting screwed. That is certain. You don't know what you are talking about. Where did you get your license, out of a cracker jack box? If you can't provide helpful advice than don't give any.

JBS

Reply to
warrior

I have to apologize for that last post I sent. I got a little testy. Funny thing happened, as soon as I wrote that message I received a call from Converse A/C in Sanantonio. They quoted me $7519.64. That is $1610.36 less than the one I was going to go with. I haven't signed any paperwork yet so I am not locked in. Waiting on a call from one more contractor. Have to make a decision soon because it gets hot here.

Thanks for your help,

JBS

Reply to
warrior

No problem, having to spend that much money would stress anyone out. A lot of AC companies try to make as much money as they can during the summer months so they justify the high markup. On the other hand there are a lot of guys out there whose morals keep their prices within reason. Changing out an existing system is easy for anyone with a single years experiance. With the exception of the new duct transition, everything is pretty much in place already(ie ductwork, electrical,drainage). It's not rocket science. The service people on the other hand require a lot more experiance, if I could find a few more good guys, I would'nt be working weekends. Good luck

Reply to
ed

You will save 30- 35 % , more if your 10 seer is realy operating at 8, maybe 55 % ++ . Its a good investment , quick payback . Be sure they do a load calc, you wont need the same sized unit and you need it sized right. There are higher seer out there.

Reply to
m Ransley

And there are a few that price their services at what they are worth. The mechanical end of this business isn't rocket science, the business end of it apparently can be sometimes.

If you don't evaluate the entire system including the ductwork when performing a change-out you are doing your customer a disservice. Bottom line is, as the OP stated, you get what you pay for and a thorough job is worth paying for. My morals are in line and my prices are fair, I apologize for the rant, it's just that it seems everyone wants to scream that a price posted here is too high or too low when they know so few details. Spend more time evaluating your actual job cost and profit margin instead of blowing off about other's making or losing money.

If you think it takes 2 grades of technician for installers vs. service, it's obvious that you are the low-baller in your area. I don't send hack techs out to install a unit just because it may or may not be easier, if they don't understand the operation of the system well enough to service it why should I trust them to install it properly? I work weekends when I want to. :-)

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

I just knew I would regret posting here. I have a little gold plated horn for you to toot, where would you like me to to send it?

Reply to
ed

Details? But you need a water source?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I will find the webpage for you...its a new company out of AZ, and all you need is a water tap. Looks like a swamp cooler...but its an AC condensor. Has a float switch and a pump. Reduces water consumption, and if you have it tapped into your homes water supply, I am sure that the cost of the water more than offsets the electrical usage.

Reply to
CBhVAC:)