AC cover

I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading older posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those of us intent on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a plywood square on top only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Reply to
Jim

Use exterior plywood, or marine grade is better.

Other than that, not much to add.

.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just wrap a tarp around it with some looseness so it can vent. A bicycle inner tube holds it on.

The most important part of the cover is the sticker you put on the breaker so someone doesn't try to run it with the cover on.

Reply to
mike

Hi, When our A/C unit was insytalled a custom fit padded cover came with it. It slides over the unit to cover all four sides when not in use. It was Carrier performance series unit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Our unit(Carrier performance series) came with custom padded cover. It slides over the unit covering top and four sides top to bottom. I don't think it is an optional item. It was packed with the unit in a plastic bag.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Teak is much better looking.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That pretty much explains what the tech saw that removed my old compressor. A tarp on top held down by two cement blocks. Gravity took care of the sides.

The only "damage" found was the rust around some of the top cover screws. The rest looked pretty good and clean. Tech said the cover caused the rust. I felt being nearly 25 years old was likely the primary contributor.

Reply to
Jim

...as opposed to what other kind of icicles? Urine?

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Expensive, no? Come to think of it, where can you buy it? I don't see it nowadays but back when I was around boats a lot, I saw it on some Hatteras's. Therefore I guess you're right as to being good for the elements.

Reply to
Doug

Expensive though, but it is available. There are ot her woods for decks that are pricey too, but will last for 50 years or more. This past summer I did my deck over with Tiger Wood and it was over $5 a sq. foot.

For an AC cover, I'd probably screw some PT lumber together. Cheap and good for 25+ years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You can buy vinyl covers at HD, etc. I would not put one over the whole thing because it would trap moisture. But you could put it on so it only covers part of it, still allowing air to flow.

Reply to
trader4