A fluorescent bulb; replacing an incandescent.

Do they make "daylight spectrum" CF bulbs? I haven't noticed any when out shopping.

A couple of years ago I replaced about 120 of the "standard" 40W foor foot flourescents in our business' offices with the "daylight spectrum" kind and everyone loved them and said that they felt noticably "better" than they did when working under the light of the "regular ones".

They cost about double what the standard color ones did at HD, but I'm glad we put them in, and we haven't had one burn out yet, so they must be pretty well made.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yup -

See, for example

?category=2 Bill Jeffrey ================ Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

I saw some yesterday, for the first time, at the borg. They weren't there a few weeks ago. They've had the 4' T12s and such for a while, but this's the first time I've seen daylight spectrum in CFL. I didn't notice the price compared to regular.

I still prefer full spectrum to daylight spectrum. In the tubes, the daylight are twice the price of the regular (warm or cool white), while the full spectrum were twice as much again. I've yet to see full spectrum CFLs locally, only on the web. The daylight are bright with a bluish tinge (not much different to me than cool white), while the full spectrum are more of a pure white.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I used to use a 40 watt incandescant bulb in the vent hood over the stove and had problems with burnout often, like about every couple of months. I replaced it finally with one of those fluorescent lamps and it is a brighter light and runs cooler drawing less wattage. That was a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it.

Reply to
indago

If you have good-quality compact fluorescents, that are rated for low temperatures (it'll say so on the package), then below-freezing temperatures aren't too big of a problem.

I have three CF bulbs in outdoor fixtures on my house, and temperatures here can get to -30C in the winter. The bulbs still light, although they take a few minutes to get up to full brightness when it's really cold out.

Regards,

George Wenzel

Reply to
George Wenzel

not going to

state from the

the state

would turn up

to a thing

My Dear Corny,

He ain't my pal. I didn't vote for him. I voted for the other guy. Arnold sounds like a nice, sincere, idealistic, and confused guy who now has to act in an unfamiliar role and doesn't know his lines. Unfortunately, Arnold has been hanging around with suspect individuals. For example, Pete Wilson (who engineered the whole deregulated power mess in the first place) and our very own personal bad-guy, Kenneth Lay. But this is getting off topic, isn't it:

"Buy Tubes Y'all. Use More Electricity!"

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

the life of

of usage;

fixture the

(you can

the socket),

enlcosed or

that bulbs

those that are

are used in

mounted enclosed

of them

in our living

routinely fail

(six of them

have failed

of bulbs in

straight

units in our

house. I continue

savings.

This seems to prove the point: we're talking about heat dissipation, plain and simple. Watch those bases turn dark brown!

fixtures,

mentioned even

of the bulb.

and I have

outdoors.

using several

work very

I'm getting long life from various of these in one outdoor fixture. The bulb is mounted upside down and the fixture is sheltered at the top, open at the bottom. I wouldn't reverse this setup, however: poof!, I'm sure.

can't

days.

bulbs use an

mandatory.

I'd think so. There's just nothing on AM radio for me any more. Just one yelling extremist talk show host after another. They all sound the same. I'm bored.

accept

force

YOU deal

Yeah. But such language! I mean, "must" accept interference. Therefore, the product may not reject the interference? Someone wrote those words. Someone else approved those words. Is anyone minding the store?

this wrong,

firmly in

Enron

Mr. Bush

President in

Thank you. I thought I'd leave if for others to fill in the blanks.

compact

sign that

fiasco.

when it was

leadership

Washington.

Yes. I agree. I saw it coming too. It was the first. Admittedly, I don't think that we got it so badly here in Northern California. It must have been one hell of a shock for the people in the San Diego area when their power costs tripled: Whomp!!!

Manditory radio content: Use of vacuum tubes is known to cause problems to your (financial) health. In California, I mean.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

averages 8.6 cents

kilowatt hour. This

kilowatt hour

divided by number

house btw.

I'm sobbing into my beer right now. My electric rate is tiered: the more you use, the more you pay. I'm fairly frugal, although we've got no gas heat to two bedrooms and use electric heaters for both of them. The highest tier I'm paying is 45 cents US per KWH. For this, I have Pete Wilson and Geo W. Bush to thank, and soon, the Arnold (who wants even more of the deregulation fiasco that brought me this 45 cent rate).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

"standard" 40W foor foot

spectrum" kind and

"better" than they did

HD, but I'm glad we

must be pretty well

This has been an interesting thread. I've learned a few things. From my experience, I'm assuming that the newest bulbs I've used have a higher operating temperature then the last round. They are a bit more efficient, too. I read figures improved 30 percent.

Regarding color spectrum: I tried a pair of Philips "daylight" tubes in the kitchen. The performance was dismal; one burned out in short order. Among compact fluorescents, I was most satisfied with the color spectrum of the first round of consumer bulbs from Lights of America (separate bases and bulbs). The newer ones are more efficient, but I think some of the color balance is sacrificed. Not a lot, just enough to be visible. I can live with them.

One important difference between the "look and feel" of any fluorescent vs. an incandescent bulb: a traditional incandescent bulb has a continuous spectrum like daylight. Seen on comparitive graphs, the incandescent is tilted toward yellow vs. daylight: both graphs are nice and smooth. This is why it is a simple matter to correct for the color balance between daylight and tungsten photographic films using standard filters such as the 85b which converts professional motion picture negative film from tungsten bulbs to daylight: this is the standard filter of the motion picture industry and you see the beautiful results in outdoor shots of all comercial movies.

Fluorescent output is a whole 'nother matter. The color spectrum is jagged, discontinuous. One can come somewhat close to a smooth graph in the aggragate (note: aggragate, averaged from jagged peaks). In reality, fluorescents have gaps in the spectrum: color frequencies that the bulbs don't put out at all! Therefore, it is not possible to perfectly compensate for this jaggedness with filtration. Such filters as the FLB and FLD come close, but there's no perfection here. Even the "daylight" bulbs don't quite match up. If you want to look at these graphs yourself, the best place I've found is professional motion picture technical manuals. The bulb manufacturers don't really give you the full picture.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Yes, The Bush Justice Dept. had worked out a deal where the criminals would pay 10 % of the amount they stole back to California, and the rest would be forgiven. This covered their butts as they could say the claim was "settled". But Gov. Davis stood firmly in the way refusing to sign, so Ahhhhnold was picked as a suitable replacement. First thing he did as governator practically was sign the 10% settlement.

I'm sure you Bushites can come up with some reason why that's actually a good thing, or just the way the cookie crumbles.

John H.

Reply to
Hagstar

I KNOW that! But, you have mogul bases, medium bases, etc too. I wanted to make it simple, as opposed to the bi-pin versions, common in europe, and we have international readers here.. who may not know it by the Edison name.

In my past life as a sound, lighting and stage tech, I hung my share of PAR cans too. You know the industry standard designations of PAR lights? For instance, a USA home type outdoor spot is a PAR 38 bulb. The most common DJ light bulbs are PAR 46. The most common stage lighting bulbs were the PAR

56 or 64 cans. Can anyone guess what those numbers mean??? And what PAR means? No fair googling or such. Brains only.

I know the answer. Stay tuned.

Reply to
Mark Oppat

Parabolic Aluminized Reflector.

I'd have to guess that the numbers were a measure of diameter, probably in something like 8ths of an inch.

-

Jim Adney

A mix of warm white and cool white bulbs will also help, at much less cost. I like about 2/3 cool white to 1/3 warm white. I've seen rooms

100% warm white and found them to be much too rosy. The women who worked there claimed to like it, however. -

Jim Adney

WE have a WINNER! Jim Adney! Yes, "eighths of and inch" is what PAR numbers call out the diameter of the bulb in, and Parabolic Aluminized Reflector is what PAR means.

Mark Oppat

Reply to
Mark Oppat

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:56:56 -0500, "Mark Oppat" scribbled this interesting note:

Parabolic Anodized Reflector.

John Willis

Sure. "PAR" is something like Parabolic Reflector, and "38" is 3.8-inch bulb diameter. Who doesn't know that :-) ?

Bill Jeffrey ====================

Mark > You know the industry standard designations of PAR lights? For

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Wow, what do I win?

Note my separate post looking for a Magnoval socket, hint, hint....

;-)

-

Jim Adney

For $10 at Home Depot you can get a 3 pack of 100W (I think they use ~23 watts of electricity) comact flourescents. They work fine in my basement, and even the rest of my house where it's often 50 degrees. Don't use them outside! And I get the warm white. Also, they take about 30 seconds to maybe 1 minute to get to full light output.

If you want to save electricity, consider not having the light on all the time outdside. I know some people do that, but I'm not sure why.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Aren't tube bulbs also measured in 8ths of an inch as well? So a T8 bulb would be one inch in dia?

Reply to
Ken Scharf

That's the governator.

Reply to